Toshiba HD-XA2 Questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Default Toshiba HD-XA2 Questions

Does anyone know were I could get one of these players,besides ebay? Has the price come down any? I don't want to spend a lot of money since,there is no longer any more suport for HD-DVD. I still love HD-DVD. It is still the best format. There is a store here in my town that is selling HD-DVD's for 2.99 each,any title you want.I just picked up transformers and,it is like brand new.I even compared it to the blu-ray copy on my Panny BD-30 I must say that the HD-DVD copy had a far better picture. Anyway if some one knows were I can pick up a used XA2 please let me know.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari52 View Post
Does anyone know were I could get one of these players,besides ebay? Has the price come down any? I don't want to spend a lot of money since,there is no longer any more suport for HD-DVD. I still love HD-DVD. It is still the best format. There is a store here in my town that is selling HD-DVD's for 2.99 each,any title you want.I just picked up transformers and,it is like brand new.I even compared it to the blu-ray copy on my Panny BD-30 I must say that the HD-DVD copy had a far better picture. Anyway if some one knows were I can pick up a used XA2 please let me know.
Wow...atari52 is another person that agrees with me regarding Transformers on HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. I've seen them side-by-side and it looks much better on HD-DVD. I'm not alone with this assessment. Anyhow, try craigslist.com. Put in HD-DVD under for sale in any big city and you will find them. I know that ebay can be pretty high as well. Lastly, do some price comparisons as well. Don't just jump at the first deal. Good luck atari52 and great statement again.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Its just not the Transformers,I have seen a lot of titles that look better on HD-DVD than blu-eay. I will always think HD-DVD is the better format. DAM Sony, Don't you just hate them! I might be crazy for picking up some Hd-dvd movies,but how can you pass them up for $2.99? You cant buy the standerd dvd for that. I think that transformers on blu-ray is still like $19.99 I can get the HD-DVD for $2.99 with a better picture.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Default In the market for a stand alone unit myself.......

You're not crazy for still picking up HD-DVD titles. I bought a Blu-ray Player a little over a year ago (which I enjoy), but will still take advantage of a deal on HD-DVD titles....in fact, I got a handful from Amazon for $3 or $4 a pop with free shipping. So, why not?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Its just not the Transformers,I have seen a lot of titles that look better on HD-DVD than blu-eay. I will always think HD-DVD is the better format. DAM Sony, Don't you just hate them! I might be crazy for picking up some Hd-dvd movies,but how can you pass them up for $2.99? You cant buy the standerd dvd for that. I think that transformers on blu-ray is still like $19.99 I can get the HD-DVD for $2.99 with a better picture.
Hey Atari PM me with some titles that you believe are better on HD DVD. I may buy a few that I have already on blu for comparison and more importantly if the PQ is better on I will purchase vs on titles I don't
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Such absolute nonsense. Same encode means there will be no difference between Blu-ray and HD DVD. I haven't compared "Transformers" and if this is a rare example where the HD DVD version is better, that would have nothing to do with the format and everything to do with the encode. In the examples where the same title is encoded differently, one of three things is possible, they are equal, the Blu-ray is better or the HD DVD is better and I am certain the least likely possibility is that the HD DVD would be better.

Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM

The Mummy one and,two just about all the universal titles. planet earth,300 just to name a few. It's just to bad that the mighty Sony won.They just had more money than Toshiba. I do not own one thing that is Sony. I can not stand them. The are the EA sports of electronics. I hope that the PS3 fails. Its not half the machine as the x-box or the Wii.I think the sales backs me up. I know that there is some movies better on Blu-ray but, that is because there is no new HD-DVD disc to compare. I do sourport blu-ray, but only because I love HD movies.not because I love Blu-Ray. I do not know why there can not be a dual format. We have more than one video game company.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 PM

I think not Chris! Blu-ray uses MPEG 2 encoding.This is at least 10 year old technology. I forgot the encoding that HD-DVD used,but it was not MPEG 2 They are not the same picture!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I think not Chris! Blu-ray uses MPEG 2 encoding.This is at least 10 year old technology. I forgot the encoding that HD-DVD used,but it was not MPEG 2 They are not the same picture!
Of course that is false, both formats use MPEG-2, AVC, and VC-1. Blu-ray may have used MPEG-2 more often than HD DVD but neither used it much.

As far as the best places to purchase an HD-XA2, here, AVSForums and eBay are about the best I can think of.

Chris
Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM

AVSForums has one listed. I don't know anything about the seller at all but it includes 16 HD DVD's for $250 plus shipping.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=12459

Chris