Did I buy the Wrong DVD Upconvert Player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Default Did I buy the Wrong DVD Upconvert Player?

I just won a Sony DVP-NS700H that had been "manufacturer refurbished to New Condition" on hebay for $50.67 (including s&h).

I just threw up that bid because I knew that most of them had been going for between $55 and $60...I didn't expect to win it.

I was, after I didn't win the 700, going purchase the Sony DVP-NS710 for $49.00 new and shipped.

Did I make the wrong decision by going with the mrtnc 700 instead of the $49.00 brand new 710 model?

Thanks for your thoughts.

TripleB
Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Hi TripleB,

Welcome to the forum!

There are many people on this forum that are way more knowledgable than me on the subject of upscalers, but by-and-large, these days most people here seem to be upscaling their DVDs via their Blu-ray or HD DVD players.

There are many choices when it comes to upscaling dvd players. I own an older Sony model myself, but these days it doesn't get much use. I find that my HD DVD players upscale better than my Sony Upscaler, my Panasonic Blu-ray player, and my friend's Sony 710. I am not familiar with the 700 model.

The HD DVD players are a little quirky, however they really deliver the goods in the upscaling department at a very reasonable price. Many players can be purchased, here on the forum, for about $25 -$50.

I am guessing that you are looking for an econimcal upscaler that gives you the best picture possible for the money - without spending as much as you would on a Blu-ray player. I would pick up a used HD DVD player, probably an HD-A2 or and HD-A3, and resell the 700. Assuming you canrecoup your costs on the 700, you'll save money, and likely get a better picture.

My $.02.

Oh, and this thread probably belongs in the Home Theater Gear section here: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home-theater-gear-23/.

Take Care!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Arrow Sony DVP-NS700H.

It's an older Sony DVD player model. Not much value on those anymore.

* You can get a better DVD upscaler in a Blu-ray player for not much more.
That would be a much wiser move.

And never put a bid on something you're not even sure in first place.
Nowadays, pretty much any Blu-ray player is a good DVD player and a good upconverter or upscaler. And they can be had for less than $79 (Christmas is just around the corner).

Cheers,
Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM

My original plan was to get a Blu Ray player since they all would upconvert my standard DVDs. The one I wanted (a Panasonic) was going for around $125. After thinking about it a while I decided that I really didn't want to put that much money into it because I hardly ever buy movies (maybe 10 a year). If I got it I would also want to run a 50' ethernet to my router which would add another $15 or so to the cost.

I decided the cheapest way out ($50 or less) would be to go with an upconverting DVD player...maybe not the best picture but enough to get me by until I see that I would get enough use out of a Blu Ray player...and who knows, maybe in a year or so that player can be had on e-bay for $50

Thanks for all the input.

TripleB
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM

I think the Panasonic Blu-ray player for $125 would have been much smarter if you own an HDTV. You can rent Blu-ray discs and it would do as well with DVD's as the Sony player you purchased, easily justifying the premium. The Sony player you purchased should be fine for it's intended use of playing DVD, assuming it works properly.

Chris
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

I agree 100% with Chris here just above.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 AM

I agree also with chris and Lordoftherings above. The $50 would have been better spent towards the Panasonic DB60. I paid $249 for the player 7 months ago, and $125 is an insanely good price. You would have been up to date to watch anything on that player, and upconverted SD does not look as good as BD on an HDTV.

I still have an upconverting Pioneer SD DVD player in my system, used mainly for non-region SD DVDs as it is an all-region player.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
My original plan was to get a Blu Ray player since they all would upconvert my standard DVDs. The one I wanted (a Panasonic) was going for around $125. After thinking about it a while I decided that I really didn't want to put that much money into it because I hardly ever buy movies (maybe 10 a year). If I got it I would also want to run a 50' ethernet to my router which would add another $15 or so to the cost.

I decided the cheapest way out ($50 or less) would be to go with an upconverting DVD player...maybe not the best picture but enough to get me by until I see that I would get enough use out of a Blu Ray player...and who knows, maybe in a year or so that player can be had on e-bay for $50

Thanks for all the input.

TripleB
I think you should hook up your new/refurbished upconverting Sony DVD player to your HDTV and watch a few of your favorite movies and make up your own mind about whether this player is satisfactory or not. I have a Sony 5 disc upscaling DVD player (Sony DVP-NC85H/B) that does a fine job of upscaling. It performs about equal to either of my blu-ray players with DVDs, although not as good as either of my HD-DVD players for upscaling purposes. My Sony upconverting player does a good enough job upconverting DVDs that I use it for that and use my Blu-ray and HD-DVD players strictly for HD media playback. For $50 - if it works it is probably just fine for your purposes until you are ready to jump into blu-ray. bbbluhhhhdvd