Getting the most from your AV system. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Default Getting the most from your AV system.

Hi all

I thought i would start up this thread to address issues with AV equipment that result in dissatisfaction with PQ and AQ. I would be happy for anyone to post tips they have discovered from their own experience.

I understand that there may be people that disagree with some ideas that are posted on here which is perfectly understandable. All i ask is that you keep an open mind about these things until you have given them a chance. You are allowed to disagree although i would like to keep this thread constructive.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM

The first area i would like to address are the power supplies inside the equipment.

When you read through the technical specifications of your audio/video equipment you will see many terms like (Dynamic range, Signal to Noise ratio, Total Harmonic Distortion etc etc) They are all given values in decibels and/or percentages. many of them sound impressive and lead us to believe we have an excellent piece of equipment.

But..... (using the US domestic supply as an example)

You will also see that the supply voltage states 110 Volts at 60Hz. The specs i mentioned previously will be true if you supply a pure 110V at 60Hz into your system.

If you plug your domestic supply into an oscilloscope you wont see a sine wave of 110V peak to peak at a frequency of exactly 60Hz. You will see a mess. Its a fluctuating voltage full of spikes, noise, radio frequency interference. This is not what the design specs told you to power your equipment with.

All this pollution is a constant assault on your equipments power supply. Even though your power supply can deal with a lot of it, this pollution heats up your power supply reducing its efficiency, therefore the DC outputs to the audio circuits will pay the price.

Regenerative mains supplies are ideal for source equipment where the power requirement is low. They give you a nice perfect stable voltage and frequency. They can only supply about 100 Watts max but your CD player wouldnt even need half of that.

Amps need to pull a lot more current a lot faster than sources so the need for a genuinly clean mains supply is still there.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
Regenerative mains supplies are ideal for source equipment where the power requirement is low. They give you a nice perfect stable voltage and frequency. They can only supply about 100 Watts max but your CD player wouldnt even need half of that.
I don't know what a "regenerative mains supply" is, maybe that's a term used in the UK. In any case, my TV alone uses 400 watts.

I do use a line conditioner, which is supposed to provide clean power with a perfect sine wave. I haven't tested it with an oscilloscope, but when someone turns on a hair dryer in the house, the line conditioner make some crazy noises and LEDs are going off left and right.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm a big believer in clean power myself. My power supply in my condo is erratic and i've seen the results in the form of premature lightbulb burnout and computer power supply and computer fan burnout.After i installed an avr the problems with my computer went away.
I can just imagine the effect this power has on my projector and other a/v equipment .
I bought a monster power conditioner for this reason .
Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I don't know what a "regenerative mains supply" is, maybe that's a term used in the UK. In any case, my TV alone uses 400 watts.

I do use a line conditioner, which is supposed to provide clean power with a perfect sine wave. I haven't tested it with an oscilloscope, but when someone turns on a hair dryer in the house, the line conditioner make some crazy noises and LEDs are going off left and right.
This is a great example. Even a hair dryer can cause significant trouble in the home. On top of that, everytime someone switches on a light it puts another spike onto the supply or anytime someone starts up their PC yet more pollution enters the grid.

A regenerative mains supply is basically a unit that plugs into the domestic supply and recreates the ideal voltage and frequency for power the source devices. In the UK it would be 240V at 50Hz These supplies are as pure as you can imagine, the only draw back is that they can only supply around 100Watts per channel, so its best to limit their use to Disc players and other digital source devices.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I'm a big believer in clean power myself. My power supply in my condo is erratic and i've seen the results in the form of premature lightbulb burnout and computer power supply and computer fan burnout.After i installed an avr the problems with my computer went away.
I can just imagine the effect this power has on my projector and other a/v equipment .
I bought a monster power conditioner for this reason .
I will bet money you will notice a difference.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
I will bet money you will notice a difference.
I agree. Too bad it was a monster though. Better can be had for cheaper.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Lightbulb Here's my first tip, only to start lightly for today.

So far I love this thread.

I know that I will enjoy it even much better as days go by.

* But just for today, here's a good tip: When watching a movie (preferably at night, duh), with subdued lighting, make sure that in fact this subdued light is not coming from an halogen or dimmable light; as it will affect the picture and sound by transferring negative impulses into your display, and also into your sound system. Instead, if you are using any light at all, I recommend a low wattage regular light, and preferably behind your display. No dimmable type of light needs apply here. That's all.

I shall be back later with more, as this thread will develop furthermore onto Audio and Video Nirvana.

P.S. I'm so happy to see few members here already. I'm so ecstatically excited with exaltation and exquisite exuberance. That should proove extremely extricating. I'm all exulted... I just cannot exude enough the extent of my expedited expression.
Please, excuse my exceedingly exceptionable excess in my excitability and excitement.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
So far I love this thread.

I know that I will enjoy it even much better as days go by.

* But just for today, here's a good tip: When watching a movie (preferably at night, duh), with subdued lighting, make sure that in fact this subdued light is not coming from an halogen or dimmable light; as it will affect the picture and sound by transferring negative impulses into your display, and also into your sound system. Instead, if you are using any light at all, I recommend a low wattage regular light, and preferably behind your display. No dimmable type of light needs apply here. That's all.

I shall be back later with more, as this thread will develop furthermore onto Audio and Video Nirvana.

P.S. I'm so happy to see few members here already. I'm so ecstatically excited with exaltation and exquisite exuberance. That should proove extremely extricating. I'm all exulted... I just cannot exude enough the extent of my expedited expression.
Please, excuse my exceedingly exceptionable excess in my excitability and excitement.
Yes, you can actually buy these LED mood lighting kits that can be placed behind the TV. Its better for your eyes than just watching something in darkness.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM

If you could find a reasonably priced electrician, you could have a dedicated mains ring just going from the circuit breakers to your system sockets. By having a seperate line for your equipment you will reduce interference by anything that would usually be connected to the same network. Also you would also be lowing the impedance between your circuit breakers and your system.

I will say it would reduce interference, there will still be some coming into your home from a substation. Its an unregulated phenomena.