Officially Part of the HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Club - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Officially Part of the HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Club

Hello all. You all won't believe this story. I have to actually credit Gizmodvd for referring me to craigslist. As he mentioned that you can search for hot deals on the site at any given time. Now, this particular sellar is located two blocks from the beach and I gave him an email this past Monday. He responed to my email on Tuesday, and I just closed the deal this morning around 10:30a.m. What amazed me was that he's only played the darn player about 15 times. You can tell he took great care of it. I mean the thing is in great condition and all is a go on my end as far as working in fine condition. Guess what the price was people? You won't believe it: $50.00. Yes, I gave him cash and it was so conveinent to meet him at his place of work for the exchange. The guy was really, really, really professional and stated if there was any problems, then bring it back. He even knew the ups and downs about the player. It's been sitting for such a bit of time, he hadn't even updated the firmware on it. I'll take care of the really quick. Boy, I've looked at other cities across the country for some of these players and in my personal opinion California is a mecca for gadgets and toys. It truelly is an advantage to the people that live here because Silicon Valley is just a five hour drive away and down here Los Angeles there are people that have treasures that just sit up with no use and you would never know it. Anyway, here are the pictures of my fine conditioned A-1 Toshiba HD-DVD Player. Can you believe that the guys is PS3 guy and that him and his wife just had it sitting up for about two years with no use. Peace.....

Officially Part of the HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Club-hd-dvd-001.jpg

Officially Part of the HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Club-hd-dvd-002.jpg

Officially Part of the HD-A1 HD-DVD Player Club-hd-dvd-003.jpg
Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Wow! This is fantastic. You got an excellent deal for a superb machine by a super cool seller.
Why can life be always like that?

* By the way, I own the HD-A1, and I just love it. Great CD player too.

Enjoy & Peace too,
Bob

< Life is Good >
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Wow...I must say that what I am about to say is what has been occuring with other HD-DVD player owners. Now, I told you all a while back that I Am Legend HD-DVD/DVD Combo movie would not play in my LG GGC-H20L drive. I Am Legend would get to the menu screen and never play at all. Here is the thing. The firmware is 1.03(the latest that I know of) for this drive. Well, It must be me or the drive needs possibly another firmware update or something. At first, I was going to trash this HD-DVD/DVD Combo of I Am Legend. Lucklily, I just held on to it. I put the dog on HD-DVD side up(side down for DVD version) and low and behold the damn movie is working(both versions) in HD-DVd and the DVD side was tested and working as well on the HD-A1 Player. I wonder if the 4.0 firmware had anything to do with it? Intersting as it may be. I'm right now in awww over the Dragon's Lair HD-DVD and trying to figure out the controls. Does anybody know the controls on the remote? Peace....
Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Version 4.0 from your HD-A1 should be able to play all the HD DVDs in existence.

* Now, what do you mean by the controls of your remote? Which button would you like to enquire about specifically?
And, do you have the manual for your HD-A1? You do have to read in the Remote Control section,
to find out about certain buttons of the remote and what they do.
** Look at page 15 in your manual.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 11-20-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: *
Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Arrow Perhaps, that might help you out.

For your info, the nice aluminum remote control of the HD-A1 is not that nice when it comes to operating it.
A Logitech Harmony would be much better.
I have the Harmony 550, and I paid only $25 for it (reconditioned).

Now, I'll give you few links where they talk a bit about it (the remote), plus more stuff that might help you out on setting it and operating it (the machine), video wise and audio wise too.

1. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

2. http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscp.../506toshibahd/

3. http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-players/...-31736203.html

* Please, take your time to read your manual and understanding it.
** The Remote Control buttons are explained at page 15 of your manual.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 11-20-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: **
Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
For your info, the nice aluminum remote control of the HD-A1 is not that nice when it comes to operating it.
A Logitech Harmony would be much better.
I have the Harmony 550, and I paid only $25 for it (reconditioned).

Now, I'll give you few links where they talk a bit about it (the remote), plus more stuff that might help you out on setting it and operating it (the machine), video wise and audio wise too.

1. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

2. http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscp.../506toshibahd/

3. http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-players/...-31736203.html

* Please, take your time to read your manual and understanding it.
Hey Lord, thanks for the info. But I'm almost like the king of gadgets from the latest MP3 players to the latest motherboards, videocards, remotes, sound cards, LCD monitors, chipsets, 240Mhz LED's, etc...I have a nack for gadgets and toys. I don't know everything, but I know and love gadgets. I'm so surprised we don't even have a computer/mac/linux section on this site. I would be all up in that. Anyway, I know all about the Harmoney series remotes by Logitech. There's about ten to fifteen different one's. Hell, I have enough toys by Logitech in the home. I know that there are several of them and have different functions in the Harmony series. Right after I(literally seconds) posted that last post, I'm like a hermit that wants to get into everything and not fail at not figureing something out. The controls were on the screen and that's all you have to do is use the left, right, up, down, and ok(action of the sword) on the A-1 remote. Oh yeah, and before I even hooked up the A-1 I had the manual downloaded via PDF and read it. It was so easy to use. I do agree with you that the remote can be tedious at times. However, I didn't even have to configure the remote for my TV. Oh, duch blckman, your TV is a Toshiba 51H83. Therefore, it even changed the channels on my television for me. How sweet it that. It only took me a quick 15 minutes to learn all of the options on the remote and the menu when you slide down the remote to access the menu button. Other than that, I learn things very fast.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Nice to see you're a part of the A1 family now. They're a little quirky, but overall very solidly built. Since your TV is not 1080P, you may want to experiment with the 1080i vs. 720P settings to see which looks best on your tv. My TV seems to perform best with the 720P setting.

Also, with the latest firmware, decoding of Dolby TrueHD via the 5.1 analog outputs is enabled if you have an older receiver (like me) that can't accept hdmi audio (not that you want those burr-brown DACs going to waste anyway ).

Enjoy the A1. It really is a sweet player.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM

how does it handle dts hd with the latest firmware, does still take only the core out?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmk2 View Post
how does it handle dts hd with the latest firmware, does still take only the core out?
Yes to both questions Vmk2. Not too much has changed during the firmware update at all. I think the firmware updates some disc compatibility issues I think that I read from. Here you go directly from the Toshiba update page:

Firmware Update Version: 4.0

Applicable Models: HD-A1, HD-XA1, HD-D1, HD-A35, HD-A2, HD-A2W, HD-A2C, HD-D2, HD-A20, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-D3, HD-A30.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for Addresses certain disc playback related issues identified by Toshiba , Play state specification is changed (Advanced playback function) When "pause state" continues 3 hours.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:13 PM

thank for the response man :-D

will buy another A1 or another hd dvd standalone? I am sparing money for at least an E1, or even better the XE1 in top condition, but would love to have a first gen player as well, pity they didn`t sell them in europe.