Toshiba HD-A1 & HD-A2, Dolby TrueHD decoders? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Question Toshiba HD-A1 & HD-A2, Dolby TrueHD decoders?

Now, I don't remember anymore.

Does the Toshiba HD-A1 and HD-A2 decodes Dolby True HD internally, or send the Dolby True HD encoded soundtracks through their HDMI outputs?

So, if you have a receiver with Dolby True HD decoder, will it show "DolbyTHD" in its front panel display?
Or is it converted to multichannel LPCM?

Sorry, it's just been too long for me now to remember.
Just not using them anymore, well for a long time now; too busy watching Blu-rays. bbblu

Thanks,
Bob
Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 AM

All HD DVD players from Toshiba including those two decode Dolby TrueHD and output PCM over HDMI.

Chris
Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
All HD DVD players from Toshiba including those two decode Dolby TrueHD and output PCM over HDMI.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

So, they do both, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM from the HDMI out?

Meaning that my newer receiver with all the latest high res. audio decoders,
will show Dolby True HD on its front panel display, from an HD DVD disc with a soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD?

Bob
Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM

No - it is my understanding that only the A35 and XA2 (+ clones) can actually bitstream a lossless audio codec over hdmi in its native state - thus permitting your receiver to see it as Dolby TrueHD and decode it. Other HD-DVD players always decode the lossless track internally and output it as multi-channel PCM over hdmi - and that is what I expect you will see displayed on your receiver - "multi-channel pcm".
But - I cannot verify that personally, so maybe someone with the correct equipment can step in and educate us?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Thumbs up TY

Thanks Rich for your effort.

* I'm still trying to get an official confirmation on this...
But what you're saying makes sense to me (but I'm just still not 100% sure yet).

Anyone else?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 PM

My understanding is the same as Rich's. Only A35 and XA2 (+ clones) will allow you to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and make it show on the display of your amp. All other models will decode it internally and send it to the amp as PCM and that is what will be shown on the display.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Thanks Viking, I think that officially confirms it now.

* And either way, the sound will still be at full high resolution.
Only the front panel display of your receiver would change, meaning nothing about the quality of sound.

Well gentlemen, I thank you very much so. It was a pleasure.

Regards,
Bob
Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
Thanks Chris,

So, they do both, Dolby TrueHD and LPCM from the HDMI out?

Meaning that my newer receiver with all the latest high res. audio decoders,
will show Dolby True HD on its front panel display, from an HD DVD disc with a soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD?

Bob
What I stated is correct, all Toshiba HD DVD players will decode Dolby TrueHD and output LPCM over HDMI. The players with the HD DVD logo that will bitstream Dolby TrueHD for decoding by an external decoder are the HD-XA2, HD-A35, Onkyo DV-HD805, Integra DHS-8.8, LG BH200 and Samsung BD-UP5000. All of those players will also bitstream DTS-HD MA. The LG BH100 doesn't carry the HD DVD logo and I don't remember what it will do and it is so rare, I won't bother to look it up.

The three junk posts over the night will all be deleted before most anybody sees this and wonder why I responded to a couple month old thread. I missed the unanswered question a couple of months ago.

Chris
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
What I stated is correct, all Toshiba HD DVD players will decode Dolby TrueHD and output LPCM over HDMI. The players with the HD DVD logo that will bitstream Dolby TrueHD for decoding by an external decoder are the HD-XA2, HD-A35, Onkyo DV-HD805, Integra DHS-8.8, LG BH200 and Samsung BD-UP5000. All of those players will also bitstream DTS-HD MA. The LG BH100 doesn't carry the HD DVD logo and I don't remember what it will do and it is so rare, I won't bother to look it up.

The three junk posts over the night will all be deleted before most anybody sees this and wonder why I responded to a couple month old thread. I missed the unanswered question a couple of months ago.

Chris
Sounds excellent Chris.

By the way, the only HD DVD (home title) with a DTS-HD MA audio soundtrack, to my knowledge, is 'Pan's Labyrinth', right?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post
Sounds excellent Chris.

By the way, the only HD DVD (home title) with a DTS-HD MA audio soundtrack, to my knowledge, is 'Pan's Labyrinth', right?
I believe there were about 25 titles including imports but the only title I own that I can recall now is "The Eagles Farewell 1 Tour - Live From Melbourne".

Chris