XA2 as top quality CD player. - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Fat Tony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 79
Default XA2 is a top quality CD player.

I'm more a Hi-Fi fan than home theatre fan, so I just thought I'd let those know who aren't aware, that the XA2/XE1 is not only a fine HD DVD/DVD player, but if you enjoy quality music, a first class CD player as well.
When the 2 channel stereo analogue outs (not 5.1) are connected from the XA2 to your amp, the XA2 is than using the on board Wolfson WM8740 hi performance stereo DAC for audio processing, which is the DAC of choice for many a high quality & expensive CD player such as Cambridge Audio and Rotel. What this means is, you will get superb stereo reproduction and outstanding quality CD sound.

So if your thinking about ditching your XA2, just remember, it would cost a small fortune to replace this unit with just a CD player of similar spec.
Cheers

Last edited by Fat Tony; 11-05-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Fat Tony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 79
Default

Hope some of you try this and enjoy your music.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 AM
The Limey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I'm more a Hi-Fi fan than home theatre fan, so I just thought I'd let those know who aren't aware, that the XA2/XE1 is not only a fine HD DVD/DVD player, but if you enjoy quality music, a first class CD player as well.
When the 2 channel stereo analogue outs (not 5.1) are connected from the XA2 to your amp, the XA2 is than using the on board Wolfson WM8740 hi performance stereo DAC for audio processing, which is the DAC of choice for many a high quality & expensive CD player such as Cambridge Audio and Rotel. What this means is, you will get superb stereo reproduction and outstanding quality CD sound.

So if your thinking about ditching your XA2, just remember, it would cost a small fortune to replace this unit with just a CD player of similar spec.
Cheers

Tony,

Thank you very much for that piece of information. I own both the XE1 and Onkyo 805 players and am pleased to see that the CD DAC is of such high quality....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM
chris gerhard's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,820
Default

I own the HD-XA2 and think it is a very nice HD DVD/DVD/CD player but it would hardly cost a fortune to improve audio playback for a high fidelity fan. The Oppo BDP-83 plays CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD-A and all at a very high quality level over analog or HDMI so my HD-XA2 is hardly of any use for audio. The BDP-83 doesn't play HD DVD and that is the one area where the HD-XA2 beats it. The HD-XA2 couldn't root my $170 Oppo DV-980H out of a secondary system for audio over analog purposes.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Rich86's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,369
Default

I still run a high-end (older) Denon CD player - and stream the digital to my high-end receiver and let it decode. The resulting audio quality is excellent.
I don't use DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players for listening to CDs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Actionable Mango's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,233
Default

I don't have an XA2 myself, but it always fascinates me to learn about the little hidden gem features like this. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Fat Tony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I own the HD-XA2 and think it is a very nice HD DVD/DVD/CD player but it would hardly cost a fortune to improve audio playback for a high fidelity fan. The Oppo BDP-83 plays CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD-A and all at a very high quality level over analog or HDMI so my HD-XA2 is hardly of any use for audio. The BDP-83 doesn't play HD DVD and that is the one area where the HD-XA2 beats it. The HD-XA2 couldn't root my $170 Oppo DV-980H out of a secondary system for audio over analog purposes.

Chris
You have totally missed the point of my post Chris.

My post was to encourage those who may have the need or want for improved CD play back via there XA2/XE1 if they so desire. It was not intended to start a "I think My Oppo or whatever, might be better than your XA2" debate, or any other product for that matter.
I don't know what DAC your Oppo is using for CD, but I'm sure it's top quality though, but I do know what the XA2 is using, and the result is only gained via 2 channel analogue out. Have you ever tried it?

If you have an XA2 and you want improved CD playback via your XA2, you can get an excellent result if you so wish.
If you don't want to, good for you.
If you are all ready using another quality product, good for you.
Enjoy your Oppo, and most of all, enjoy the music.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 11-05-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 396
Default

It may have excellent components, but unless you can lock it away somewhere or only listen using closed headphones, the fan noise is unacceptable for many types of music (especially quiet classical Adagios and the like).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
chris gerhard's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
You have totally missed the point of my post Chris.

My post was to encourage those who may have the need or want for improved CD play back via there XA2/XE1 if they so desire. It was not intended to start a "I think My Oppo or whatever, might be better than your XA2" debate, or any other product for that matter.
I don't know what DAC your Oppo is using for CD, but I'm sure it's top quality though, but I do know what the XA2 is using, and the result is only gained via 2 channel analogue out. Have you ever tried it?

If you have an XA2 and you want improved CD playback via your XA2, you can get an excellent result if you so wish.
If you don't want to, good for you.
If you are all ready using another quality product, good for you.
Enjoy your Oppo, and most of all, enjoy the music.
My point was in response to your comment that it would cost a fortune to replace the CD performance of the HD-XA2. My thought is selling the HD-XA2 and acquiring the Oppo BDP-83 adds a lot and only gives up HD DVD, including replacing the CD and DVD-V performance and in my opinion improving on both. Therefore it doesn't cost a fortune at all, in fact would cost very little relatively speaking. I am not disagreeing with your point that it is a very good CD player in addition to being an excellent HD DVD player and excellent DVD-V player, only disagreeing with an opinion that the player provides much in the way of value as a CD player to someone that doesn't want the HD DVD playback. Of course if continued HD DVD playback is the primary use, it provides great value.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Fat Tony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
My point was in response to your comment that it would cost a fortune to replace the CD performance of the HD-XA2. My thought is selling the HD-XA2 and acquiring the Oppo BDP-83 adds a lot and only gives up HD DVD, including replacing the CD and DVD-V performance and in my opinion improving on both. Therefore it doesn't cost a fortune at all, in fact would cost very little relatively speaking. I am not disagreeing with your point that it is a very good CD player in addition to being an excellent HD DVD player and excellent DVD-V player, only disagreeing with an opinion that the player provides much in the way of value as a CD player to someone that doesn't want the HD DVD playback. Of course if continued HD DVD playback is the primary use, it provides great value.

Chris

As a stand alone CD player, to this level of spec for a Hi Fi enthusiast, it would cost a small fortune. You need to be in the Arcam, CA, Rotel level of CD player to get this level of quality, specifically the 192kHz/24-bit Wolfson WM8740 DAC.
There are lots of other great alternatives that will still give you great sound, but if you all ready have one of these players, there is nothing cheaper!
I don't use mine for movies, it is used as a dedicated CD player, hence my original comment. That's why I stated at the start, I am more into Hi-Fi than home theatre. My situation, is not going to apply to many on this site, neither yours, but it's a simple and cost free upgrade that will give you superb results IF you have the need or desire, and as such, offers outstanding value.

On the home theatre front, if and when my BD35 dies, I will buy the Oppo for movies, from all accounts, a brilliant unit also.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 11-06-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking picture quality over MOVIE quality willxcore General Discussion: Both Formats 27 02-13-2008 02:01 PM
Toshiba HD-XA2 Wins E-Gear Editor's Choice Top 40 Award OculusX High Definition Smackdown 16 12-24-2007 10:34 PM
XA2 update cant find the download for XA2 dachst8087 HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 1 11-16-2007 01:18 PM
Off the top of your head: Your top 5 "reference quality" HD-DVDs SweetBrownsugar HD DVD Software General Discussion 28 08-22-2007 03:23 AM
Hd-xa2 Level And Quality Sound. charolin HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 2 07-07-2007 12:42 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off