Onkyo HD805. What should a Brand New one sell for? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Default Onkyo HD805. What should a Brand New one sell for?

I did a search on Ebay and Amazon, and I can't even find these players being sold as used or refurbished, nonetheless brand new.

I was thinking about selling my brand new, factory sealed (NOT REFURBISHED) Onkyo HD-805, but really don't know what to ask since I can't find anybody else selling one for price comparison. I might just keep it if it doesn't sound like they're going for much. But I already have the Xbox HD-DVD drive, and an HD drive in my desktop, so if the Onkyo will fetch a decent price I think I'll go ahead and sell it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM

You should be able to sell it around $300-$400. The Onkyo is basically an XA2 in an A2/A20 case with an Onkyo faceplate, and the only difference is software. But since fewer of them were made, it generally fetches about the same price as an XA2 (a new XA2 just sold for $350 on ebay and a refurbished for $300).
Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM

I think it would be hard to sell that, if you have lots of Reds just keep it,

i know i wouldn't shell that kind of money out for anything but the new oppo blu player. and i loooove hhhhdvd, and still purchase them
Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
You should be able to sell it around $300-$400. The Onkyo is basically an XA2 in an A2/A20 case with an Onkyo faceplate, and the only difference is software. But since fewer of them were made, it generally fetches about the same price as an XA2 (a new XA2 just sold for $350 on ebay and a refurbished for $300).
That seems very high for an XA2. They were selling for $225 this past summer, but that was used, like new. Personally, at this point I don't think new in box is going to get you much of a premium over like new with box, unless you just find a collector who will keep it sealed, or someone really anal about only buying new. The used refurb for $300 was a total fluke, considering a used non-refurb complete with box and everything only brought $260.

And that said, the 805 is not as desirable as the XA2. Integra 8.8 (Onkyo's Premium brand) HD DVD players have sold on E-Bay recently. 100% complete with seller claiming they were demo models only used for one day. He sold one at auction for $250 and one with a BIN of $315 (both prices included shipping).

So I think your Onkyo price on a sealed unit would probably be around $300 shipped max. To move it quickly $275 shipped. It is less desirable than the XA2 and Integra, which would trend the price down, but it is factory sealed, which will appeal to a few people. If you can pay to keep it listed for a few months, you may find that picky collector and get $325, but I would say $325 is the top end.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't see the XA2 that you talked about bruceames, the only NIB xa2 I saw sold last week for $397 shipped. So it sounds like now might be a good time to sell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-HD-XA2-1...#ht_734wt_1161
Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM

It is a relatively obscure model, so I would mention in the description or even the title that it is an XA2 equivalent, and also so it will show up in searches.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
That seems very high for an XA2. They were selling for $225 this past summer, but that was used, like new. Personally, at this point I don't think new in box is going to get you much of a premium over like new with box, unless you just find a collector who will keep it sealed, or someone really anal about only buying new. The used refurb for $300 was a total fluke, considering a used non-refurb complete with box and everything only brought $260.

And that said, the 805 is not as desirable as the XA2. Integra 8.8 (Onkyo's Premium brand) HD DVD players have sold on E-Bay recently. 100% complete with seller claiming they were demo models only used for one day. He sold one at auction for $250 and one with a BIN of $315 (both prices included shipping).

So I think your Onkyo price on a sealed unit would probably be around $300 shipped max. To move it quickly $275 shipped. It is less desirable than the XA2 and Integra, which would trend the price down, but it is factory sealed, which will appeal to a few people. If you can pay to keep it listed for a few months, you may find that picky collector and get $325, but I would say $325 is the top end.
On the contrary, as time goes on, I think new players will fetch relatively higher prices then used ones. I don't know if the latest sales are a fluke or not, I haven't been following them. You could be right, that the Onkyo new will fetch less than the XA2, but it should get around $300 at least.

The Integra is the exact same player as the Onkyo, with even the same faceplate style. The only difference is the name on the plate and a button or two is different. Of course, fewer of them ware made, but apparently not so few as to make them more desirable (going by the latest ebay sale prices).
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
On the contrary, as time goes on, I think new players will fetch relatively higher prices then used ones. I don't know if the latest sales are a fluke or not, I haven't been following them. You could be right, that the Onkyo new will fetch less than the XA2, but it should get around $300 at least.

The Integra is the exact same player as the Onkyo, with even the same faceplate style. The only difference is the name on the plate and a button or two is different. Of course, fewer of them ware made, but apparently not so few as to make them more desirable (going by the latest ebay sale prices).
I think as time goes on, people will only want HD DVD because you can get $3 HD movies. Otherwise, becuase they are cheap HD, which will mean they want cheap players.

The XA2, XE1, 805, and the 8.8 are all the same hardware. Each has a different remote, with the XA2/XE1 having the best remote and the 805 having the worst. Firmware is a little different (just logos really), but the core is the same. You can even load the Toshiba 4.0 firmware on any of the models (except the XE1 because it is PAL). A few people have claimed the Onkyo/Integra have slightly faster load times (perhaps a slightly faster drive), but that isn't the general concensus..

The XA2 was the most plentifully produced, followed by the XE1, 805, and then 8.8.

There were actually only 200 Integra 8.8's produced. There were more than 2000 805's produced. The XA2 had more than 24,000 units produced. I never saw a number on the XE1. However, 60% of all HD DVD players were sold in the US. The rest were overseas. Japan would not have used the XE1 because they are NTSC. However, very few HD DVD players were sold in Japan anyway, say 10% maybe. So if the split was 60/30/10, with the 30% being Europe, and with Europeans buying the XE1 in the same ratio as those buying XA2's, it would stand to reason that ~12,000 XE1's were produced.

So the 8.8's are by far the most rare version of the XA2/Clone models.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
I think as time goes on, people will only want HD DVD because you can get $3 HD movies. Otherwise, becuase they are cheap HD, which will mean they want cheap players.

The XA2, XE1, 805, and the 8.8 are all the same hardware. Each has a different remote, with the XA2/XE1 having the best remote and the 805 having the worst. Firmware is a little different (just logos really), but the core is the same. You can even load the Toshiba 4.0 firmware on any of the models (except the XE1 because it is PAL). A few people have claimed the Onkyo/Integra have slightly faster load times (perhaps a slightly faster drive), but that isn't the general concensus..

The XA2 was the most plentifully produced, followed by the XE1, 805, and then 8.8.

There were actually only 200 Integra 8.8's produced. There were more than 2000 805's produced. The XA2 had more than 24,000 units produced. I never saw a number on the XE1. However, 60% of all HD DVD players were sold in the US. The rest were overseas. Japan would not have used the XE1 because they are NTSC. However, very few HD DVD players were sold in Japan anyway, say 10% maybe. So if the split was 60/30/10, with the 30% being Europe, and with Europeans buying the XE1 in the same ratio as those buying XA2's, it would stand to reason that ~12,000 XE1's were produced.

So the 8.8's are by far the most rare version of the XA2/Clone models.
Nice post, I didn't know much about quantities of the HD-XA2 and equivalents. I don't know what the actual number over 24,000 is but surely, it is more than just slightly more.

As far as a new and sealed Onkyo DV-HD805, my thought is use a free eBay listing, start it a $350 and give it a week. No bids, try something different.

Chris
Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
Nice post, I didn't know much about quantities of the HD-XA2 and equivalents. I don't know what the actual number over 24,000 is but surely, it is more than just slightly more.

As far as a new and sealed Onkyo DV-HD805, my thought is use a free eBay listing, start it a $350 and give it a week. No bids, try something different.

Chris
I don't know how much over 24,000. When HD DVD was releasing sales numbers, at one point they divulged the % breakdown between the A2, A20, and XA2 models sold (I think when it was around 300k-400k standalones (non-Xbox), 24k of them were XA2's.

HD DVD's last announcement was of nearly 1 million units sold in the USA (including X-Box). I think the actual number was around 950k units. ~350k of those were Xbox add ons, leaving 600k standalones. 90k of those were the Walmart A-2 bump just before HD DVD collapsed, leaving 510k. If it was ~24k when they were at 350k, then 6.9% were XA2's. So at 510k, that is about 35k XA2's, if they were still purchased in the same ratio (I would guess at a smaller ratio, since the A3 was also introduced).

So probably 35k XA2's at most, but likely less than that. So somewhere between 24-35k units. It makes the 805 more rare, but the XA2 is still more desireable amongst HD DVD fans. The 8.8 is super rare, but that doesn't appear to help the price of it any.