Screen-door effect with 360 add-on? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Screen-door effect with 360 add-on?

I have a 42" LCD HDTV, and almost every time I watch an HD DVD with my Xbox 360 add-on I get the screen-door effect. Wavey lines roll down the screen, especially when there's a lot of the same warm colors like a deep orange or red. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but now it's distracting from the actual movie. I've never had that happen before. It doesn't happen when I watch Blu-ray, DVD, TV, or play games. I'm wondering if it's the add-on that's doing it, and not my TV. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 PM

well i had to send my add on in for repairs. it stopped playing hd dvd's. This was likely due to the firmware upgrade. Before that it was fine. Your problem soundsl ike a video connection, what is your 360 hooked up to? Mine is on vga so i can get a 1080p signal.

also did you have any problems before the firmware upgrade?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Mine just stopped recognizing discs at all and I had to send it in.

But one word of caution - DO NOT SEND IT USING UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE! Use UPS because they require a Signature at the time of delivery.

Now USPS is claiming they delivered my package so they're not responsible, and MS is claiming they never received the package so they're not responsible, and I'm stuck with no HD DVD player for now.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
Mine just stopped recognizing discs at all and I had to send it in.

But one word of caution - DO NOT SEND IT USING UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE! Use UPS because they require a Signature at the time of delivery.

Now USPS is claiming they delivered my package so they're not responsible, and MS is claiming they never received the package so they're not responsible, and I'm stuck with no HD DVD player for now.
Yeah USPS sux BAD. I ordered Planet Earth and they LOST IT!!! And then said they had delivered it!!! I had to buy an $80 boxed set (Including shipping) TWICE. That hurt bad. But I didn't buy it O.L. again, i was too paronoid, so I picked it up at BB for $100. Total amount spent on my copy of PE = $190. BIG ouch. Thank you USPS!!! Ah well... at least I wasn't disappointed.

Any way, about the O.P. I've never heard of that. But it sounds like a problem with the signal and not the add-on. Also could be bad cables (which would also hurt the signal). If using component, investing in some monster cables might help a bit. You could try changing which device (if any) is doing any up/down converting. Like if your TV does crappy conversion, (as I've heard many of them do), maybe set the Xbox to output at your TVs native resolution? You probably already know all this, I don't know....but thats all I got, hope it helps... All in all, somehow I doubt it's the add-on.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:19 PM

I had a similar issue with my VGA cable. I had it set to 1080p, and my TV is really only capable of 1080i. It would have an occasional roll in the image, and some dragging.
I just went back to component @ 1080i.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post
I have a 42" LCD HDTV, and almost every time I watch an HD DVD with my Xbox 360 add-on I get the screen-door effect. Wavey lines roll down the screen, especially when there's a lot of the same warm colors like a deep orange or red. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but now it's distracting from the actual movie. I've never had that happen before. It doesn't happen when I watch Blu-ray, DVD, TV, or play games. I'm wondering if it's the add-on that's doing it, and not my TV. Has anyone else had this problem?
The screen-door effect is caused by LCD or DLP TVs themselves. It is called that because a viewer can see the space between pixels on the screen so that it looks like you are watching your TV through a screen-door. It is most notable on front projector systems where the screen is large thus increasing the distance between pixels so that it is more noticeable. The solution is to sit further away.

But that's not your problem. If everything wasn't Digital I would say its interference caused by another source, like your fridge or microwave. I've never heard a problem like this happen on an LCD TV. So I would think there is something wrong with the video processors in the X-Box360, probably a firmware screwup. However, the cables you are using might be interfering with the signal, either cropping some of the frequencies off, or by introducing interfering frequencies. Try some new cables first. But don't buy way too expensive ones, I would feel bad if that wasn't the culprit.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsickmoth View Post
The screen-door effect is caused by LCD or DLP TVs themselves. It is called that because a viewer can see the space between pixels on the screen so that it looks like you are watching your TV through a screen-door. It is most notable on front projector systems where the screen is large thus increasing the distance between pixels so that it is more noticeable. The solution is to sit further away.

But that's not your problem. If everything wasn't Digital I would say its interference caused by another source, like your fridge or microwave. I've never heard a problem like this happen on an LCD TV. So I would think there is something wrong with the video processors in the X-Box360, probably a firmware screwup. However, the cables you are using might be interfering with the signal, either cropping some of the frequencies off, or by introducing interfering frequencies. Try some new cables first. But don't buy way too expensive ones, I would feel bad if that wasn't the culprit.
DLP TVs don't have SDE, as the spacees between the "pixels" on the light processor is virtually nill. SDE is generally unique to LCD projection. But you're right in that the problem described in the OP isn't SDE. I forgot to mention that in my post. It sounds more like a problem with anti-aliasing, which can be a result of a bad signal, if Im not mistaken.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM

I'm gonna take the add-on back today, and look for a good deal on a stand-alone player considering the prices have been getting better. The add-on always felt a little cheap anyway, plus I didn't like having my Xbox on all the time just to watch a movie.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post
I'm gonna take the add-on back today, and look for a good deal on a stand-alone player considering the prices have been getting better. The add-on always felt a little cheap anyway, plus I didn't like having my Xbox on all the time just to watch a movie.
That sounds smart. Even though I'm not too sure the problem was your add-on, but who knows with MS... I like the add-on, since it's a cheap way to get into HD. But now that I'm into it, I think a full-fledged stand-alone is worth the investment. Besides, I don't wan't my HD DVDs subject to the reliability of the 360, even though I've had no problems yet. Check back and let us know if the problem goes away with the use of a stand-alone.