HD-A2 and non-anamorphic DVDs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 02:54 AM

Default HD-A2 and non-anamorphic DVDs?

Hi guys, I have a sony 50" 1080p RPTV and was looking at either the OPPO 981 or the HD-A2 for my 300dvd collection. I had my sights set on the HD-A2, however I read some reviews that when using older (non-anamorphic) discs, that these are not fully upconverted. They are projected on the screen with a black bar surrounding them, and that a zoom feature would be needed. Is this true? Has there been updates for this? It would be nice to pay alittle extra for a HD player, but I dont want my DVD collection to suffer that much right now. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 AM

The movies are upconverted just not in a full screen or near a full screen. Basically think of it like this... its basically a full screen movie just in its widescreen format. It was never set as being a widescreen movie and so the movie came out as a fullscreen but with the black bars top and bottom. And so the A2 sees the full screen and adds black bars top and bottom. But the image is still upconverted, just much smaller. I hope that made some sense. I know it seems a bit confusing, but the output of the A2 and the Oppo eventually comes down to this, they will be the best way to view that disc on a widescreen tv as in terms of picture quality...but if u want it to fill the screen and u dont care about upconversion, then i think if you set the toshiba to 4 x 3 fullscreen instead of 16 x 9 wide and zoom in, it should do the trick.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
The movies are upconverted just not in a full screen or near a full screen. Basically think of it like this... its basically a full screen movie just in its widescreen format. It was never set as being a widescreen movie and so the movie came out as a fullscreen but with the black bars top and bottom. And so the A2 sees the full screen and adds black bars top and bottom. But the image is still upconverted, just much smaller. I hope that made some sense. I know it seems a bit confusing, but the output of the A2 and the Oppo eventually comes down to this, they will be the best way to view that disc on a widescreen tv as in terms of picture quality...but if u want it to fill the screen and u dont care about upconversion, then i think if you set the toshiba to 4 x 3 fullscreen instead of 16 x 9 wide and zoom in, it should do the trick.
Don't you mean on the sides? Not top and bottom. I would use a stretch mode instead of zoom.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM

No meant it correctly. If you have a widescreen DVD that is not anamorphic, it is no different than having a fullscreen movie. Just that it is the widescreen transfer but when the DVD was encoded, it was never enhanced for 16 x 9 televisions. If you have a few DVDs like this like I do and u watched it through the A2 or any other player that gives the pillarboxes for fullscreen movies you would understand. Some of these DVDs that I own that are like this are... True Lies, Volcano, Mrs Doubtfire, the first DVD edition of Spaceballs (not the special edition), Young Frankenstein. All those movies are widescreen and not anamorphic. But even though they are widescreen, they do not match up to your tv correctly unless you zoom them in properly.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 PM

This problem is called "window boxing." What happens is the studio encodes 16:9 film on a 4:3 template, essentially adding black bars to the top and bottom of the video source. Thus, you now have a 4:3 video file that is composed of a widescreen image and the black bars. Viewed on a standard 4:3 television, this doesn't pose any problems - the video portion fills the entire width of the screen, with the rest of the space being taken up by the black bars.

Whenever this content is reproduced on a 16:9 monitor, it takes the 4:3 image (which includes the 16:9 film and two black bars - the DVD player simply sees it as 4:3 content and has no way of recognizing that the video portion is actually 16:9 aspect ratio) and adds black bars to the rest of the space on the television (right and left sides of the screen). This creates the windowboxing effect that you described.

The only way to remedy this situation is to either have zoom on your DVD player or zoom on your television. Usually, either option simply increases the size of the pixels in the video data, usually creating an enlarged but less sharp picture. Unfortunately there are many titles that are non-anamorphic widescreen, and it's a shame that this has become such an issue. Try watching Home Alone on an upconverting DVD player - it's pretty much unbearable.

I'm not entirely sure if the A2 supports a zoom feature or not - that's something someone else may be able to help you out with.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM

THANK YOU!!!! lol
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 PM

Yeah, Paramount movies are bad for this. 3 of the Star Trek movies are like this. If a Paramount movie does not say enhanced for widescreen tv's, you can count on this cruddy view. Some Universal releases are the same. They seem to be about the only 2 studios that I have encountered.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
THANK YOU!!!! lol
My apologies. I always watch non-anamorphic widescreen films in stretch mode. Fullscreen movies are indeed pillarboxed. BTW, I use my television's stretch mode.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post
. 3 of the Star Trek movies are like this.
I don't think this is true anymore since they came out with the 2 disc special editions. These are all anamorphic.

Also, The A2 has a menu option for non-anamorphic widescreen movies. Basically, watching non-anamorphic movies on a widescreen display absolutely sucks, as the bars are bigger than ever on the top and bottem. If you have zoom on your tv you can make the picture look much better, but some tvs (including mine) won't let you access the zoom features if you are watching HD sources.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post
Yeah, Paramount movies are bad for this. 3 of the Star Trek movies are like this. If a Paramount movie does not say enhanced for widescreen tv's, you can count on this cruddy view. Some Universal releases are the same. They seem to be about the only 2 studios that I have encountered.
Oh my god was I pissed off when I found out my Criterion Collections of "Robocop" and "Silence of The Lambs" weren't anamorphic. "The Horror...The Horror" "The Abyss" and "The Graduate" are also other examples. I think it's a little more spread out studio wise then you guys know.