Quick Digital Plus / TrueHD Audio question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Quick Digital Plus / TrueHD Audio question

Hey all - glad to be part of the HD DVD community...quick questions regarding the audio on the HD DVD's. I checked the FAQ area and could find nothing regarding this specific question.

Can someone explain exactly what the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and TrueHD.

From my understanding it just means that the audio is merely not compressed and just sounds better? You don't need different hardware to take advantage of it (or do newer better receiver accept the signal better)? I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver (VSX-14 I think).

I am sure we have many experts on the subject if you could please enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 03:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital_Plus
Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+), also known as E-AC-3, was developed specifically for the introduction of HDTV and HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc. The codec supports coded-bitstream rates up to 6.144 Mbit/s, compared to 640 kbit/s for the original Dolby Digital AC-3, and can carry up to 13.1 channels in a single stream. The algorithm is not directly backward compatible with AC-3 existing AC-3 decoders will not be able to decode E-AC-3 streams but Dolby Digital Plus-capable equipment is required to be able to convert E-AC-3 streams to AC-3 for compatibility with existing Dolby Digital A/V processors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD
Quote:
Dolby TrueHD, from Dolby Laboratories, is an advanced lossless audio codec based on Meridian Lossless Packing. Support for the codec is mandatory for HD DVD and optional for Blu-ray Disc hardware. TrueHD supports 24 bit, 96 kHz audio channels at up to 18 Mbit/s over 8 channels (HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc standards currently limit their maximum number of audio channels to eight, Dolby TrueHD can output up to 14 sound channels simultaneously). It also supports extensive metadata, including dialog normalization and Dynamic Range Control.
When in doubt, Wiki. DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD are lossless compression where you get the maximum quality in a smaller format than uncompressed. DD+ throws more bandwidth at the audio so the compression is less noticeable. Follow the links to learn more.

*Wiki is managed by people like you and me. Links to sources are added in the bottom and any disputes are flagged. There was an article recently that said Wikipedia was more accurate than some encyclopedias, so the information is almost always right.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 PM

Ok from what I have read DD+ needs special hardware as does TrueHD...but what do you look for when looking for a Receiver...I am on FutureShop.ca and none of the receivers mention DD+ or TrueHD as playable (is it just their aren't many receiver that do it yet)?

Here is the link the the receiver (just an example) - it is called something else on there?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

Thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 AM

In order for the receiver to decode DD+ or TrueHD it needs to support HDMI 1.3. The receiver you link to does not, and as far as I know, at the moment there is no receiver in the market with HDMI 1.3.

However, your player can transmit DD+/TrueHD as PCM over HDMI to the receiver. The player in this case decodes the DD+/TrueHD. Or, if the receiver supports it, you can hook up the 5.1 analog outputs of the player to the 5.1 multi-channel inputs of the receiver to get DD+/TrueHD. This is how I have my HD-A1 hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver.

Looking at the Pioneer website it appears the VSX-14 does not have HDMI inputs. If this is the case just utilize the 5.1 analogue outputs of the player into the 5.1 analogue inputs of the receiver. (Note: the HD-A2 does not have 5.1 analogue outputs; Only the HD-A1, HD-XA1, and the HD-XA2 support this).

The Harmon Kardon that you link to does support HDMI so just use HDMI from the player to the receiver, set the player to AUTO for the audio you'll get the DD+/TrueHD via PCM on HDMI.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info!!