I've joined the ranks of a35 owners - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Default I've joined the ranks of a35 owners

I'm glad I did!!

I got my initial a3 as a gimme when I purchased my HDTV back in 2008 but I sold that when I got the LG BH200, figuring that I didn't need two different machines when one could play both formats. Also wanted a player that would bitstream both formats and only the Samsung and LG could do that and so far as HD DVD, only the a35, the Onkyo and the Xa2 could bitstream.

Have to admit, while the LG worked fine as a BD player, I was less than satisfied with it as an HD DVD player. Titles that worked fine on my a3, had some problems playing on the LG. I also noticed less picture quality on the LG, plus amazingly, the bitstreamed sound was less impressive on HD DVD than it was on BD.

Well now that I found a great Ebay deal on the a35, it's now in my possession and I couldn't be happier. The picture quality is much better than the BH 200 and it seems as if a gauze has been removed off the bitstreaming sound so the TRUEHD and the DD+ sounds much better. Don't have a DTSMA disc to test it against.

So far, i'm pretty happy with the purchase.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM

what price did you get it for?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
I'm glad I did!!

I got my initial a3 as a gimme when I purchased my HDTV back in 2008 but I sold that when I got the LG BH200, figuring that I didn't need two different machines when one could play both formats. Also wanted a player that would bitstream both formats and only the Samsung and LG could do that and so far as HD DVD, only the a35, the Onkyo and the Xa2 could bitstream.

Have to admit, while the LG worked fine as a BD player, I was less than satisfied with it as an HD DVD player. Titles that worked fine on my a3, had some problems playing on the LG. I also noticed less picture quality on the LG, plus amazingly, the bitstreamed sound was less impressive on HD DVD than it was on BD.

Well now that I found a great Ebay deal on the a35, it's now in my possession and I couldn't be happier. The picture quality is much better than the BH 200 and it seems as if a gauze has been removed off the bitstreaming sound so the TRUEHD and the DD+ sounds much better. Don't have a DTSMA disc to test it against.

So far, i'm pretty happy with the purchase.
Congrats on the A-35! It is a great player and I have used mine a lot with absolutely no issues. I am surprised to hear about your issues with picture and audio quality on the LG BH200 though. Everything I've read has been quite positive on that unit aside from some sporadic actual disc playback issues with certain titles. I have never heard of performance problems on the HD DVD side.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
what price did you get it for?
Won an Ebay auction at $92.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
What? you are dead serious? What a bargain. I really want to get the A35, but for now I'm stuck with the A3
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm still using my A35 with no problems and I have another A35 in the closet brand new and sealed. Looks like I'll be watching HD DVD's for years to come.

Also have an A2 in the office with an A3 new in the closet for backup.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juio View Post
What? you are dead serious? What a bargain. I really want to get the A35, but for now I'm stuck with the A3
Dead serious!! I still kinda scratch my head getting it at that price. It plays fine. It had 2.0 firmware but went and downloaded 4.0 no problem!! It had a couple scratches and a small indentation but overall in perfect condition. I was more than happy to pay $92 + shipping. I was prepared to purchase at $150.

I'm really happy with the bitstreaming i'm getting from the player. Almost makes me want to get more HD DVD's in addition to the 20some i've got. I still have a few i'd like to get if the price becomes right.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
holy crap! I would spend that! I thought they were still averaging $200+
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
holy crap! I would spend that! I thought they were still averaging $200+
Ironically, after purchasing mine, I saw some other's being bid on around $130 and up. Only had one other bid against me for this one.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Ironically, after purchasing mine, I saw some other's being bid on around $130 and up. Only had one other bid against me for this one.
Yeah - that's the way it is on EBay. Some items get bid up and you scratch your head asking "what are they thinking??". And then another time, you snag a bargain - I think just because no one else happens to be looking . . .