HD-A2 TrueHD, DD+ - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Default HD-A2 TrueHD, DD+

The description says that the A2 supports TrueHD & DD+. Since the A2 is not HDMI1.3 does that mean you'd have to use the multi channel outs to get TrueHD and DD+? With the new Onkyo receivers, could you get TrueHD and DD+ with the HDMI cable since the Onkyo is HDMI 1.3? I'm a little confused.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM

DD+ and TrueHD is decoded in the A2 and output as PCM through the HDMI connector. It can also be transcoded to 1.5 Mbps DTS (or PCM) output through the optical S/PDIF connector.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3rocket View Post
DD+ and TrueHD is decoded in the A2 and output as PCM through the HDMI connector.

I thought TrueHD & DD+ could only be decoded thru HDMI 1.3 and analog outputs. The A2 doesn't have HDMI 1.3.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM

You need hdmi 1.3 to bitstream the TruHD tracks to an AVR that can decode them. Since the player is doing the decoding it only sends the PCM data. That PCM data can be sent out on hdmi 1.1 or better.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:54 PM

What's the difference between bitstream and PCM?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 PM

The difference between PCM and bitstream has to do with who is decoding the data. PCM decodes the data at the player and sends the output to the receiver for processing. Bitstream is chunks of data sent from the player to the receiver for decoding and processing.

Usually in the past the decoders on the receiver were much better than the decoders in the players so you would usually set your player to bitstream and let the receiver do all the work. With the HD formats you now get lossless and lossy audio. To playback that audio you need bandwidth. Until hdmi 1.3 was finalized the only way to play back the lossless/lossy audio was to decode the audio in the player and output it using either hdmi or analog. Now since hdmi 1.3 is here and receivers are out that have a 1.3 interface you can take your player that has hdmi 1.3 and connect it to your 1.3 compliant receiver and let the receiver take over the audio tasks. However here lies another problem in that the discs are authored for decoding on the player. Sound bytes from menus and I believe PiP will be effected since those audio streams wont be sent to the receiver. I believe only the movie audio gets sent via bitstream but I may be incorrect.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 AM

I guess my main question is I've already ordered the new Onkyo TX-SR805, If I were to purchase the Toshiba HD-A2, would I be able to get lossless Dolby TrueHD, and DD+ thru a HDMI cable? Or would the TrueHD or DD+ be watered down to some degree because the A2 is not HDMI 1.3?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
I've already ordered the new Onkyo TX-SR805, If I were to purchase the Toshiba HD-A2, would I be able to get lossless Dolby TrueHD, and DD+ thru a HDMI cable?
Plain and simply YES...

No need to worry about the confusion of HDMI 1.3, as your Toshiba HD-A2 will decode and send the lossless audio signals (as PCM 5.1 uncompressed) to your Onkyo TX-SR805 via HDMI, resulting in rich Dolby TrueHD for your hearing pleasure

Last edited by rizzlehd; 06-07-2007 at 05:16 AM.