Can all HD DVD players, including the add-on, play DVDs of any format (PAL,R2,ETC.)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Can all HD DVD players, including the add-on, play DVDs of any format (PAL,R2,ETC.)?

I've heard this somewhere, and I would like to know if it is true.
Can my HD DVD player add-on for the Xbox 360 really play DVDs of any other region?
If I wanted to play a PAL or Region 2 or 3 or whatever disc, all I need to do is insert it into my Xbox 360?!!?
I've always avoided imports rather sadly, as sometimes their goodies are better that their Region 1 counterparts...but if it's true that this add-on can play any DVD...I'm getting ready to buy!
Help much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 PM

as of right now all hd dvd players including the 360 can play all regions
Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM

There is no Pal/ntsc in the HD-DVD world. All HD-DVD players can play HD-DVDs from anywhere, NOT standard dvds from anywhere.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 PM

He's asking if the add-on can play any region DVDs not HD-DVDs. I dunno the answer as I only have Blu-ray but good luck. That's something that is good to know.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post
He's asking if the add-on can play any region DVDs not HD-DVDs. I dunno the answer as I only have Blu-ray but good luck. That's something that is good to know.
If you'll re-read my post, I have answered this q.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyjp View Post
I've heard this somewhere, and I would like to know if it is true.
Can my HD DVD player add-on for the Xbox 360 really play DVDs of any other region?
If I wanted to play a PAL or Region 2 or 3 or whatever disc, all I need to do is insert it into my Xbox 360?!!?
I've always avoided imports rather sadly, as sometimes their goodies are better that their Region 1 counterparts...but if it's true that this add-on can play any DVD...I'm getting ready to buy!
Help much appreciated.
As someone mentioned, when it comes to standard DVDs, the players can only play Region 1 NTSC disc. Nothing from other regions, and no PAL whatsoever.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 AM

all hd dvd players will play all hd dvd movies from around the world.

However the same cannot be said for the dvd side of it. it wont really matter since we are seeing alot of old dvd titles from abroad making the hd leap.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Got it now

All right, so HD DVDs have no region encoding, thus they can be played on any HD DVD player.
But DVDs DO have region encoding, and can only be played in the player of their corresponding region.
Thanks guys, I was getting ready to buy lots o' R2 DVDs.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth crimsonx View Post
as of right now all hd dvd players including the 360 can play all regions
I've tried to play region 3 DVD (HK movie) and it didn't allow me.........