HD-DVD player won't play any HD-DVDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Default HD-DVD player won't play any HD-DVDs

It's a Toshiba HD-A3 and before you ask, it's not the firmware. I have well over 100 HD-DVD movies and they all worked without updating the firmware once. But now when I insert any HD-DVD disc (even the combo formats) it tries to load and gives me the "No disc" message.

It still powers on fine, it still plays normal DVDs fine and it even plays the DVD side of HD/DVD combo discs but won't even recognize HD-DVDs. I tried the so called "reset" by unplugging it for a few minutes and trying again with the same results

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Toshiba wants $90 bucks for a replacement unit, they don't even do repairs on this model. That's more than I payed for the player over a year ago. Any help/ideas would be awesome
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What242 View Post
It's a Toshiba HD-A3 and before you ask, it's not the firmware. I have well over 100 HD-DVD movies and they all worked without updating the firmware once. But now when I insert any HD-DVD disc (even the combo formats) it tries to load and gives me the "No disc" message.

It still powers on fine, it still plays normal DVDs fine and it even plays the DVD side of HD/DVD combo discs but won't even recognize HD-DVDs. I tried the so called "reset" by unplugging it for a few minutes and trying again with the same results

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Toshiba wants $90 bucks for a replacement unit, they don't even do repairs on this model. That's more than I payed for the player over a year ago. Any help/ideas would be awesome
Toshiba offers replacement units? Didn't know that...bet it's a dead HD laser
Old 07-24-2009, 02:25 AM

It's sure looking like a dead HD laser. I bought a lens cleaning kit, used it, same result. I got some compressed air and sprayed it in there with no luck.

Looks like I'm officially screwed, got myself 120 hockey pucks now. Since it's already out of warranty I'm going to take it apart and screw with it, I'm pretty handy with electronics....maybe I'll get lucky. They better let me keep this unit if I have to fork over $90 bucks for a new one but I'm know I'm probably kidding myself.

Good ole' current electronics, biggest pieces of **** in history. The player lasts for about a year and 3-4 months and takes a crap. I've still got a DVD player from 1997 working perfectly and a flipping VCR from the 80's. This piece of **** can't even last 2 years
Old 07-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Have you tried ebay for a broken A3 for spare parts?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM

I hadn't but I just did and couldn't find any. In fact, I couldn't find any HD-DVD spare parts let alone for the HD-A3. But good idea, I didn't think of that

Oooh, actually I just looked again and found the blue diode laser but it seems they are all for the 360 add-on. Think that would work? They only cost about $15 bucks
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM

Honestly I have no idea, you could see if there is a part number on your suspected defective laser, and try to compare? I wouldn't do a blind buy on something like that. Broken A3's will show up eventually. You just have to hope that thy don't have the same problem. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I hadn't but I just did and couldn't find any. In fact, I couldn't find any HD-DVD spare parts let alone for the HD-A3. But good idea, I didn't think of that

Oooh, actually I just looked again and found the blue diode laser but it seems they are all for the 360 add-on. Think that would work? They only cost about $15 bucks
You won't find "spare parts" for an A3...You need to buy thewhole unit for about $25 shipped...There are ALOT of them out there...Personally if iit were me I would buy the replacement unit from Toshiba for $90 and get the warranty that comes with it and call it a day...Or buy one of the other HD DVD players on ebay for about the same amount...

Folks that have 100+ discs should (IMHO) have a backup player for just such an emergency...Sorry your player went kaput...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It's sure looking like a dead HD laser. I bought a lens cleaning kit, used it, same result. I got some compressed air and sprayed it in there with no luck.

Looks like I'm officially screwed, got myself 120 hockey pucks now. Since it's already out of warranty I'm going to take it apart and screw with it, I'm pretty handy with electronics....maybe I'll get lucky. They better let me keep this unit if I have to fork over $90 bucks for a new one but I'm know I'm probably kidding myself.

Good ole' current electronics, biggest pieces of **** in history. The player lasts for about a year and 3-4 months and takes a crap. I've still got a DVD player from 1997 working perfectly and a flipping VCR from the 80's. This piece of **** can't even last 2 years
Why would you want the same one? The A3 is a low end player, if they don't have it in stock you will msot likely end up with something better. I heard of someone getting a A-35 as a replacment (though I'm not sure which model they sent it), I would call them and ask exactly which model they would be replacing it with. You should be able to find an A-3 on ebay for under $90 anyway...
Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the "replacement unit"? Did you call Toshiba and would you have to send them the old unit back? Would like to know if Toshiba still has units available...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM

I have the same problem on my American back-up player (A20) that I bought from Ebay a year ago. But I was cheap and didn't buy me a Euro-USA voltage adapter for 6 months..Be careful you guys from outside USA if you buy from Ebay USA a player and test it RIGHT AWAY!

Any help concerning the change of the laser diod would be much appreciated.