Still Recommended by LG - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 AM

Default Still Recommended by LG

they should update their site.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM

They should send me one. I'll promote the hell out of it.

Also, they need to make it say "Blu-ray Disc & HD DVD". Notice they spelt it as "Dise"?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
They should send me one. I'll promote the hell out of it.

Also, they need to make it say "Blu-ray Disc & HD DVD". Notice they spelt it as "Dise"?
lmao fail.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM

I don't know where you found that old promo for the BH200; I have LG's site bookmarked for the info on the BH200, as you really have to hunt for it (lge.com is the US/Canada site for LG).

But, they should recommend it, and I sure do. Outstanding PQ, with 1080p/24fps film mode, bitstreaming all lossless audio, can be made region free for DVD and handles NTSC/PAL, Blu-ray region changeable by code with the remote, and handle 60Hz/50Hz HD content. And after giving me a $75 rebate for it not being upgraded to BD Live, they're going to make it BD live capable anyway. And it even also plays my hhhhdvd collection.

If LG were smart, they'd re-tool the assembly line and keep cranking these babies out. :-#
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 PM

To be fair, they can't advertise the region-free capabilities legally and I'm still doubtful that BD-Live actually arrives...until the day it happens.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I don't know where you found that old promo for the BH200; I have LG's site bookmarked for the info on the BH200, as you really have to hunt for it (lge.com is the US/Canada site for LG).

But, they should recommend it, and I sure do. Outstanding PQ, with 1080p/24fps film mode, bitstreaming all lossless audio, can be made region free for DVD and handles NTSC/PAL, Blu-ray region changeable by code with the remote, and handle 60Hz/50Hz HD content. And after giving me a $75 rebate for it not being upgraded to BD Live, they're going to make it BD live capable anyway. And it even also plays my hhhhdvd collection.

If LG were smart, they'd re-tool the assembly line and keep cranking these babies out. :-#
It is actually a BH100 they have depicted, which AFAIK they won't even support anymore!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

Hmmm sounds interesting, I like the idea or region free with remote. Do you have a link to the BH200 info page?

Any glitches with playback on any specific Blu discs?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Hmmm sounds interesting, I like the idea or region free with remote. Do you have a link to the BH200 info page?

Any glitches with playback on any specific Blu discs?
This thread at AVSForums has all the info on multi region blu-ray and region free DVD, when loaded with current FW & drivers. A couple of LG technicians even post in that thread. Every BH200 has the ability to be be multi region BD. With the tray open and no disc you press Pause and then 1472 on the remote. You get a display like this for US players:

USA: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40

The 4th pair of values sets the BD region coding. If you want to enable PAL playback on the player (your TV needs to be able to support PAL), change the settings to: Region A - 80, Region B - 92, Region C - A6

If you want to keep the player NTSC only, you change the settings to:
Region A - 00, Region B - 20, Region C - 26

When you've made your selection, press Pause to save, and power down the player; it wakes up in a new region.

To make the player DVD region free, there's a software hack you download and burn to a CD; instructions are in the AVS thread.

By "BH200 info page", you mean the info, specs, etc, from LG? The LG page is here. You can download the PDF of the user manual on that page, which is something I always do when seriously considering buying a player.

And the AVSFoum has a thread on both blu-ray and HD DVD discs which have playback issues, link here. There's less than 10 BDs with playback issues, and most have a work around. Around 20 HD DVDs have playback issues, mostly imports. Personally I've never encountered any playback issue on any disc with my BH200.

And thanks for pointing out that picture was a BH100, that "world's 1st dual format high definition player" should have tipped me off. The BH100 was a mess, it didn't even carry the HD DVD logo as it didn't meet all the specs. As I recall, popup menus on HD DVDs didn't work, and it's not multi-region blu-ray.

Last edited by Cochise; 06-24-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 AM

If the upcoming firmware update adds BD-Live and fixes the big majority of issues with the BH200 and leaves the all-region remote hack intact, the player will be very desirable. It still has great potential almost a year after I purchased my first one.

Chris
Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 PM

I want one lol