Is there an HD DVD player that can play PAL format discs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Default Is there an HD DVD player that can play PAL format discs?

I have searched around but I'm looking for a definite answer and suggestion. Thanks. PAL would be for playing SD DVDs. I am trying to avoid having a PS3, a HD DVD player, and a separate DVD player that can play PAL dvds.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM

HD-A2, HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A30 and HD-A35 can be made PAL capable and regionfree. They will output PAL when playing PAL discs, and output NTSC when playing NTSC discs. There is no PAL-to-NTSC convertion. The default output will be PAL, so make sure that your TV or projector can handle PAL before starting the process.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Do you game on that PS3? If the answer is no then you might be better off researching Bluray SALs that will do PAL with quality upconverters built in. The PS3 still has solid resale value so you should be about to about completely pay for any bluray SAL with the sale of your PS3.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post
HD-A2, HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A30 and HD-A35 can be made PAL capable and regionfree. They will output PAL when playing PAL discs, and output NTSC when playing NTSC discs. There is no PAL-to-NTSC convertion. The default output will be PAL, so make sure that your TV or projector can handle PAL before starting the process.
I have an hd-a35. I will search on this, but if you know of a site that has a good "how to," I'd appreciate the link.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapse of Reason View Post
I have an hd-a35. I will search on this, but if you know of a site that has a good "how to," I'd appreciate the link.
I hope it's not against forum policy to put this link here:
HD-A35 SD-DVD region free and PAL support?

If it's not allowed then I'm sure the moderators can remove it.

But as I said in my last post, it's important that you check first if your TV or projector is PAL capable.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:36 PM

LG BH200 can output PAL. In fact, it is an HD-DVD player, profile 2.0* BD player, region free DVD player, PAL/NTSC player, and region-selectable BD player.

* with the latest firmware and you have to insert a 1GB or larger flash drive to the USB port.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 AM

Actionable-yes and I love both my LG BH200's for that reason!