Is it worth swapping my A2 with my A30 Player? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Billbofet's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 833
Default Is it worth swapping my A2 with my A30 Player?

I just recently picked up a backup player - an HD-A30. For the past two years, I've had an HD-A2 hooked up in my theater downstairs. The newer A30 is upstairs on my flatscreen.

In my theater, I have a 720p projector and a receiver that can accept and transcode TrueHD and all other high rez audio codecs.

Now, would there be any advantage of putting the A30 in the theater downstairs? With the A2, I have it outputting at 1080i and sending all audio via PCM - except for normal DD and DTS.

The A30 outputs 1080p - which my projector will accept, but what other advantage would swapping them out have? I purchased the A30 for my upgrade to 1080p on the projector next year, but I'll flip them around now if there is any major advantages.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Arkadin's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,401
Default

ok you are just talking about swapping 2 players you already have.
I thought you meant should you "buy" an A30.
so I deleted my advice which was to get an A35 instead.
if you get a chance and have a lot of HD DVDs that you never plan to part with I would say sell the A30 and get the superior A35.
that's what I would do.
if you get the A35 you can bitstream the codecs for an hdmi 1.3 receiver to decode for you.
that seems to be the most preferable way from everyone that has gone that route.
if your current receiver is not hdmi 1.3 it won't matter which player you get, but in the future it might.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
ajvandenb's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
I just recently picked up a backup player - an HD-A30. For the past two years, I've had an HD-A2 hooked up in my theater downstairs. The newer A30 is upstairs on my flatscreen.

In my theater, I have a 720p projector and a receiver that can accept and transcode TrueHD and all other high rez audio codecs.

Now, would there be any advantage of putting the A30 in the theater downstairs? With the A2, I have it outputting at 1080i and sending all audio via PCM - except for normal DD and DTS.

The A30 outputs 1080p - which my projector will accept, but what other advantage would swapping them out have? I purchased the A30 for my upgrade to 1080p on the projector next year, but I'll flip them around now if there is any major advantages.
Don't really see much advantage of swapping them...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Billbofet's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
Don't really see much advantage of swapping them...
That's kind of what I was thinking. I'll swap when I upgrade the pj and use the 1080p/24fps feature.

Also, isn't TrueHD identical if it is sent as linear PCM or bitstreamed?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
JAC35's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Also, isn't TrueHD identical if it is sent as linear PCM or bitstreamed?
In theory yes, lossless is lossless but the arguement some make is what would you rather use to decode your audio a $200.00 DVD player or your $2500.00 amp.

BTW... I'm in a similar boat as you with an A2 and an A30. There is a way to hack your A30 and make it kind of like an A35 (A32.5 if you will) where it will bitstream DD+ and the other lossy codecs but not DTS-MA or TrueHD. I may be giving this a try in a few months.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Billbofet's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 833
Default

so, this firmware will bitstream DD+ that most HD DVD's have? Not the standard DD that is on DVD?

If it won't bitstream the high def stuff, is it still worth doing?

I'd be scared to force firmware on the A30, but is there any feedback from those that have done it? I'm open to trying it if it's going to make an improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
JAC35's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,169
Default

check in the other thread for more details
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-d...getting-2.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 516
Default

The one thing I would add is how your projector treats the signal. My 720p tv takes a non-1080p signal, converts it to 1080p and then converts it to 720p. If it gets a 1080p signal, it just does a 720p conversion. Theoretically, that makes for a cleaner image as it's just one resolution change. I doubt it's much, but the logic is sound!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Splicer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
The one thing I would add is how your projector treats the signal. My 720p tv takes a non-1080p signal, converts it to 1080p and then converts it to 720p. If it gets a 1080p signal, it just does a 720p conversion. Theoretically, that makes for a cleaner image as it's just one resolution change. I doubt it's much, but the logic is sound!
No it doesn't...Your set display is 720p...That means no matter what you input to it...480, 720 or 1080...it gets converted to 720...The TV does not upscale a 1080i...480i or 480p or 720p signal to 1080p and then down to 720p...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
No it doesn't...Your set display is 720p...That means no matter what you input to it...480, 720 or 1080...it gets converted to 720...The TV does not upscale a 1080i...480i or 480p or 720p signal to 1080p and then down to 720p...
Maybe the nomenclature is off, but I tend to think I was right. This was from the Panasonic concierge replying to a post on AVSForums. I'll take their word for it...!:

From AVS forums

QUOTE:
The processor is 1080p, so if you send a 720p signal, the TV converts it to 1080p for processing, then drops it to 768 for display. If you send a 1080i signal, it's deinterlaced then downconverted to 768.
UNQUOTE.

I guess I wasn't totally accurate calling my display 720p, but being there are two options out there (haven't heard many people saying 768p!!), I just went with that number. Also was off on my nomenclature for a 1080i signal, but that seems like making it 1080p to me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remember when disc swapping meant 2 discs = 1 swap? Indy_aka_Rex Gaming Smackdown 310 02-12-2010 07:35 PM
Harddrive swapping between laptop and PS3. BBM128 Game Room 7 09-29-2008 04:31 PM
swapping the PS3 hard drive... manictuco87 Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 27 09-12-2008 03:02 PM
Swapping drivers from one speaker to another ATLFalconsFAN Home Theater Gear 0 02-05-2008 03:41 PM
Official Warner Brothers Swapping Titles crazy05 High Definition Smackdown 16 01-08-2008 03:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off