HD-DVD Problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Default HD-DVD Problem

Hi

I have my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive connected to my PC with the drivers installed and I am running PowerDVD v7.3. I have tried watching two specific films recently but to no avail, as they seem to be taking a while to read in the disc drive and skipping straight away after the disc has loaded and it shows the studio screen (eg. Warner Bros, Universal). The discs in question are Blade Runner: The Final Cut (two-disc edition) and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

At first I thought the problem was due to a few light scratches on the Blade Runner disc but when I tried to play Fast Times and noticed I am getting the exact same problem I have come to the conclusion that it's probably something else completely. I only bought the 360 disc drive in March (brand new) so it's not very old at all. I did originally have it connected to my Xbox 360 but that has since failed on me (RRoD) and I never bothered getting a new one so just decided to connect the HD-DVD drive to my computer instead, I have only tried one other HD disc on it before these two and that was Casablanca which seemed to work ok with no skipping or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and if I can solve it?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM

I'm moving this to the HD DVD Hardware forum as it really seems to be more of a hardware issue, and the HD DVD Software forum is intended for discussion of the movies.

Others more knowledgeable in the Xbos add-on used with computers will hopefully chime in to help you. You said you got Casablanca to play OK, but did you check the hardware requirements at the PowerDVD web site? It takes quite powerful CPUs and graphic processor cards to be able to handle HD DVD and Blu-ray playback.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM

PowerDVD sometimes goes stupid with the odd disc or two for me, even with my LG combo PC drive. The software sucks honestly. I wish i could find something better.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM

I haven't had any issue with Power DVD and the Xbox 360 drive in a PC. Does a DVD play ok?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Hi

Basically my HD-DVD player won't play any HD-DVD at all now (well, they will play but with lots of stuttering/skipping). I formatted my system about two weeks ago or so now and before that all HD's seemed to work on my system (which is when I tested Casablanca).

I tried Casablanca again earlier today and I'm having the same problem as my other HD-DVD's, stuttering/skipping playback and longer load times in PowerDVD (version 7.3), although I do have the UDF file installed on my system so Windows recognizes the disc and I can browse the disc files etc. Normal DVD's will play fine, as I tested a standard DVD earlier aswell which was fine on playback, and I tried another few HD's which all stuttered. I don't understand why they won't play, as my system is fine (I think) for playback of HD content, eg. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. My system specifications are as follows:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180 processor running at 3GHz (overclocked from the stock speed of 2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MT/s FSB)
2GB DDR2 800MHz memory (dual-channel)
ATI Radeon HD 3850 256MB graphics card (PCI-Express x16)
Cooler Master Real Power 520W modular power supply
Windows XP Professional 32-bit
19" LG LCD monitor (desktop resolution of 1680x1050)

I can run games on this PC so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to run Blu-Rays or HD-DVDs.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Ensure your video drivers are up to date, I think you need .NET framework as well and Directx and the same with your Power DVD 7.3. ensure it is the latest version. Also if you have any codec packs loaded get rid of them for the time being.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Which .NET Framework version? I have 2.0 installed at the moment. I don't have any codec packs loaded either.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3moliti0n View Post
Which .NET Framework version? I have 2.0 installed at the moment. I don't have any codec packs loaded either.
the one ATI requires. 2.0 is correct I think. How about reinstall Power DVD?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM

oh and here are the instructions to get it going...

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ows_page1.html

I found this on another forum...

Those of you who are having problem with powerDVD video stuttering, should take a closer look at the audio settings. Surprisingly, when powerdvd has problems with audio, it directly affects the video. Try changing different audio settings; and/or update your sound card driver.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Ok thanks for the link, I'll try a reinstall.