Best TV picture settings for HD-DVD performance.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 AM

Default Best TV picture settings for HD-DVD performance..

I got a 37inch Samsung 1080p LCD tv...

I am fooling around with the settings, and I totally WONKED it all up!

I was wondering what your guys settings are for your tv, and I could adjust to it!
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickz View Post
I got a 37inch Samsung 1080p LCD tv...

I am fooling around with the settings, and I totally WONKED it all up!

I was wondering what your guys settings are for your tv, and I could adjust to it!
I don't think settings for one brand would necessarily be right for another brand. Your best bet is to get a calibration disc and go from there. Just reset your Samsung to it's default settings if you WONKED it up.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 PM

Go to www.avsforum.com, go to the LCD area and type in the model number of your TV in the search bar and find the thread for it and ask there.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM

It will vary a little bit based on room brightness & color, but AVS forums knows how to do it right. Either way, get a calibration disc. You spend a bunch on hhhhdvd&bbblu and the $20 for the DVE disc is well worth it.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 AM

i shall get that!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 AM

As mentioned the calibration will vary depending of brand and model type. There are several sites that offer recommended calibrations based on your televison. You can do a search for cnet, and tweaktv - those are two of my favorites when calibrating my hdtvs.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM

I'd recommend buying DVE and doing it the right way if you're trying to go DIY.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:26 PM

What they all said. Get a Calibration disc.

However, i can almost promise all TV's should not have sharpness above 10-20 with HiDef content! No wonder people complain about film grain when they have sharpness at 100.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
What they all said. Get a Calibration disc.

However, i can almost promise all TV's should not have sharpness above 10-20 with HiDef content! No wonder people complain about film grain when they have sharpness at 100.
I find it laughable that nearly everyone on this board always recomends setting the sharpeness to some ludicrously low setting such as 0 or in this case 10. As with anything, picture quality is a subjective experience, and while I agree setting the picture to 100 is not the way to go... over compensating the other direction and using sharpness settings of 0-20 are also often not the way to go. For my 56" Samsung DLP that I do all my movie watching on for instance on the movie hdmi hook up I have sharpness at 65. I have zero noticible ringing or jaggies, and my picture doesn't appear overly soft or "edgey". Initially I followed the mass thought process that lower = better, however on my set to my eyes lower equaled a far to blurry image for high def content, and I just missed out on too much detail. At this setting film grain is still virtually non existant except when it's supposed to be readily apparent, and I couldn't be happier. Calibration disks are the way to go, and I recommend loosely following what tweaktv has listed as well... AVS' recomendations for my set however were off.

Bottom line... start with a calibration disk, then tweak until until you're happy with it.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM

I'd recommend using a calibration disc to set your sharpness along with all your other settings. While that setting will be different for each TV, I can almost guarantee you it will be a lower number, somewhere between 0 and 20.