Dobly Digital Plus Problems - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Juio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 801
Default Dobly Digital Plus Problems

I just discovered that Dobly Digital Plus has problems with older receivers that don't fully decoded it. You guys may have heard about this before, but hear me out.

Okay, so I own an old Onkyo receiver that only decodes Dobly Digital and DTS sound. I have this hook up to my HD-A3 player through optical cable. Now here is the problem, any HD DVD movie that has Dobly Digital Plus my receiver still gets full 5.1 sound, however it sounds exactly if I had my receiver's night mode on. So every loud thing especially during action scenes don't sound loud at all. Everything is equalize in terms of loudness.

To verify that this is a problem, I took out my Transformers HD DVD and the regular DVD version and compare both discs of the movie through various action scenes at the same volume level. The results stunned me. The DVD version sounded much louder and more dynamic than the HD DVD version. I turned on the night mode on the DVD version and it end up sounding exactly like the HD DVD version, however I toggled the night mode on the HD DVD and it did no affect at all. It simply sounded as if night mode was forced on.

As for Dobly True HD, the sound comes out perfect! Everything sounds rich and dynamic. So I don't get the same problem on Dobly True HD.

I think the solution for me is to get a new Onkyo receiver unless there is a way to solve this problem. It's a real bummer than some HD DVD movies are only in Dobly Digital Plus, and I can't fully enjoyed the 5.1 audio.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2009, 12:46 AM
cheez avenger's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,694
Default

You might have to go to the A-3's main settings. Switch from bitsream to PCM.


I think.


Josh helped me way back when--I may have had the same problem you did.


My receiver is the Onkyo 705, so it may be a little newer than yours. IDK.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Actually, it's not a limitation of your receiver not being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus, because the A3 can't send DD+ to the receiver. It's a limitation of digital optical.

According to the A3 User Manual (page 21):

Bitstream:
When you play a disc recorded in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD format, Dolby Digital sound is output. When you play a disc recorded in DTS-HD format, the sound is converted to a DTS bitstream.

PCM:
When you play an HD DVD or DVD video disc recorded in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS or DTS-HD format, sound is converted into PCM (2ch) format.


Your saying that when you play an HD DVD with DD+ sounds like your receiver is on "night mode" makes me think you have PCM selected for Optical output, and you're only getting 2 channel stereo. Changing it to Bitstream should make DVDs/HD DVDs sound equal in quality. But, if you upgrade to a receiver with HDMI audio, then the A3 will fully decode DD+/TrueHD and you'll enjoy a big improvement in audio quality.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Juio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Actually, it's not a limitation of your receiver not being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus, because the A3 can't send DD+ to the receiver. It's a limitation of digital optical.

According to the A3 User Manual (page 21):

Bitstream:
When you play a disc recorded in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD format, Dolby Digital sound is output. When you play a disc recorded in DTS-HD format, the sound is converted to a DTS bitstream.

PCM:
When you play an HD DVD or DVD video disc recorded in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS or DTS-HD format, sound is converted into PCM (2ch) format.


Your saying that when you play an HD DVD with DD+ sounds like your receiver is on "night mode" makes me think you have PCM selected for Optical output, and you're only getting 2 channel stereo. Changing it to Bitstream should make DVDs/HD DVDs sound equal in quality. But, if you upgrade to a receiver with HDMI audio, then the A3 will fully decode DD+/TrueHD and you'll enjoy a big improvement in audio quality.
I have my A3 set to Bitstream and never in PCM. I really do need new receiver.

I want to know why this happens.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juio View Post
I have my A3 set to Bitstream and never in PCM. I really do need new receiver.

I want to know why this happens.
Well, the only other thing I can think of is make your you have both Dynamic Range Control and Dialog Enhancement set to OFF - having them on might affect the optical audio output.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Juio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Well, the only other thing I can think of is make your you have both Dynamic Range Control and Dialog Enhancement set to OFF - having them on might affect the optical audio output.
UPDATE:

I had the Dynamic Range Control set to Auto so I turned it off, and now the sound works perfectly! Thanks for helping me out.

Last edited by Juio; 05-14-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is Disney using Dobly TrueHD instead of DTS HD MA? Juio Blu-ray Software General Discussion 30 01-09-2013 04:02 PM
Palm pre Plus/Pixi plus free mobile hotspot! Slayerfaith1982 The Water Cooler 0 04-02-2010 02:52 PM
BD30-Dobly TrueHD audio drop firmware jsmiddleton4 Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 188 07-23-2008 11:59 AM
Question regarding PCM vs Dobly True??? frostylou Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 0 07-03-2007 07:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off