Is This Internal HD DVD Player Any Good? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Default Is This Internal HD DVD Player Any Good?

I am new to the HD DVD world, just tryinig to get something simple for now. Is this a good unit?

Toshiba IDE HD-DVD / DVD Black SD-H802A HP # 5188-6233

I tried to digging but didn't find much. I guess the CD and DVD aspects of this drive aren't that great, but I am wanting this unit strictly for the HD DVD. I already have a nice CD-R/DVD-R drive in my desktop. Anyone know anything about this product? Thx
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Not sure what info you are really looking for, but I have one in my PC and it works fine. I've also got LG BD/HD DVD hybrid player and as far as HD DVD goes they both work well.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:46 PM

I'm looking for nice 1080P picture and good sound. Nothing too fancy and not overly concerned with load times. I am just getting into the HD DVD game, mostly just to save money, compiling some high def sets (fast&furious, bourne, etc) and catalog titles at lower prices.

I started collecting HD DVDs about a two weeks before the Red2Blu. I have only been buying titles I did not already own. Just so happened that I had purchased about 3 or 4 titles that ended up being Red2Blu eligible. Now I am just looking to purchase anything where the HD DVD is equal or better quality to the Blu, to save money.

I just got a new desktop with 7GB RAM and a 20.5" 1080P monitor and a 15000:1 or 20000:1 (I forget) contrast ratio. If I get the internal, as I understand it I will have to buy a Roku (which I am already wanting but kinda wanted to wait $ wise) player in order to broadcast on my TV but I could still use the high def on my desktop in the mean time. Looking at either getting the internal Toshiba or a stand alone Toshiba HD-A20, maybe both eventually, but only one for now.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM

All you need to put the video onto TV in high def is a video card with an HDMI output (or ANY output if you use Slysoft's "AnyDVD" application which strips the copy protection requirements)... which you might already have if your system is that high end..!

That said, high-def on computers can be a bit more complicated (especially if you have to buy software that supports HD-DVD, which less and less is doing sadly) and an A20 might be a lot less trouble if you're not really into tweaking your computer setup and installing various apps.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:23 PM

I'm into doing whatever works. While I may not know what to do off-hand, I'm somewhat computer savvy so I can move fairly quickly once I have an idea of what to do. It would be preferable to be able to watch my HD DVD discs on either the desktop or the TV. Would that software have to be purchased? I think that the video card in this desktop isn't the best but I've watched some HD programming on NBC.com and Fox.com and it's played smooth without any buffering issues or any issue whatsoever.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM

If you buy the LG Combo drive it will come with PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra to play your HD DVDs. If you want to go with this Toshiba drive, it may come with playback software (you should double check) if it doesnt you could go with WinDVD 9. There is also TMT but i dont know anything about that software.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Yah I'm just looking at something that is the best cost/benefit. Mostly concerned with the cost...lol. Looks like I can get a Toshiba A20 for $60 or $70 on EBay. The internal drive would be probably $50, not a lot of them around it doesn't seem like.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Get a stand alone unit like the A20 and spend less and less hassle...Just my opinion...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 PM

Ok. Good to know know. Not spend less, though, necessarily. Seems like the internal Toshiba unit that I mentioned in my initial post is less expensive than the A20
Old 05-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Really??? How much???

You know you could buy a Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on and connect that to your computer and start watching HD DVD right??? Amazon for $49 I think I last saw...