Importing HD DVDs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

Default Importing HD DVDs

Does anyone import HD DVDs from Amazon UK or anywhere else? If so, do you need anything (PAL converter) or will it just play normally.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 PM

all HD-DVD's will play anywhere in the world. I have 2 Imports and i think i will be ordering 4 more this week. Price tag is a little higher than a combo but Giving the finger to Sony is way worth it
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivemx View Post
all HD-DVD's will play anywhere in the world. I have 2 Imports and i think i will be ordering 4 more this week. Price tag is a little higher than a combo but Giving the finger to Sony is way worth it
What imports do you have?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 PM

I never have owned an import. I guess I just don't know what to expect. Do the subtitles always stay on or can they be shut off. Is the language ever overdubbed? Clear it up for me guys. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Spideybat,

I am Italian but I have bought imports from both Uk, France, USA and Japan: if the movie is originally in English you always get that sound track untouched (disclaimer I am not expert about lossless formats so take that with a bit of salt). On the French imports I have found in two occasions forced French subtitles that was not possible to eliminate (on "Three days of the Condor" and "T2 Theatrical release" but the Director cut that comes with it does not have the same problem so its not a big deal). No problems whatsoever on the Japanese and Uk imports: audio track and subtitles are completely up to your choice, even it can be tricky on the Japanese ones.. the menus are at lest partially in English and the English track is normally the first on the list of the audio tracks...

If can give you some suggestions try "Enemy at the gate" and "T2" from France, they both look quite good (for movies not so recent) and "Equilibrium" from Japan (Not perfect but still worth the effort).

I hope it helps...
Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks Kimba1970.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp108 View Post
Does anyone import HD DVDs from Amazon UK or anywhere else? If so, do you need anything (PAL converter) or will it just play normally.

Thanks.
It should play normally. I think all HD DVD players support multi-region and PAL / NTSC formats.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Im pretty sure HD dvd/blu ray is universial and it doesnt matter,its hd not like the old signals pal/ntsc.

Hd dvds are not region coded meaning they will play in any player in the world.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareco View Post
Im pretty sure HD dvd/blu ray is universial and it doesnt matter,its hd not like the old signals pal/ntsc.

Hd dvds are not region coded meaning they will play in any player in the world.
That's the great advantage of HD DVD. You can take advantage of lower prices anywhere around the world.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 PM

I am searching on amazon.uk and most of the hd dvd are from the states. Are there any exclusives that say japan and europe has that we dont. I dont want to spend alot of money importing something that i can get here.

Is it true that snatch is a studio canal title and therefore is out in europe as hd dvd even though its sony?