Decent HD player that can stream hd audio and dvd free region - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2009, 07:16 AM

Default Decent HD player that can stream hd audio and dvd free region

Good day guys,

I own xbox add on for my hd dvd collection and I want to upgrade after I bought a receiver capable for HD audio. What player you recommend, I also want it to be dvd region free (for my imports).

many thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

The only HD DVD player that can be made region free is the LG BH200 Blu-ray/HD DVD combo player. It's not in production anymore and is pretty highly sought after; they ain't cheap.

The XA2 can also be hacked, but from what I've read it's a fairly involved process.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Bh200 is probably the best bet for region free DVD.

The Xa2 (and possibly a2 & a3) is hackable. I've done it for the Xa2.

It is not as simple as the Bh200 and it will only play PAL dvds in the proper frame rate -50fps, not in the standard 60pfs of NTSC TVs. In other words it will not convert the PAL signal to work with North American TVs.

Also for certain Region 1 DVDs (like FOX dvds) you have to enter a simple code on the remote to ignore the region cookie or whatever on the disk.

Don't get me wrong the Xa2 hack works great and I never had problems using it.

But I know not everyone is at ease with the technical hoops, you might want to consider if it is something that might frustrate you or whoever will be using it with you.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 AM

I own both the HD-XA2 and LG BH200 but I haven't used either for all-region DVD. As far as Region 1 DVD and HD DVD, the HD-XA2 is a better player. There is a rumored big BH200 firmware update scheduled for around July and if it delivers what we hope, the BH200 will be a much better player than it is now. The fact it plays all-region Blu-ray makes it the player with the most upside potential of any HD DVD player in my opinion and it really might become a terrific player. If you are like me and don't mind risk buying the BH200 is my recommendation. The downside is that LG either doesn't deliver on the firmware or that it isn't anything close to what I hope it will be. As-is, the BH200 isn't bad but it has problems with some discs while the HD-XA2 is a terrific player for DVD and HD DVD.

Chris
Old 04-25-2009, 03:26 PM

The A2, A20, XA2, A30 and A35 can be made PAL capable and region free for SD DVD. But you need a TV or projector that can handle PAL.

Of those, the XA2 and A35 can bitstream HD audio.

Last edited by Viking61; 04-25-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM

thanks guys for your great input, I bought a used XA2 it will be here in few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
Bh200 is probably the best bet for region free DVD.

The Xa2 (and possibly a2 & a3) is hackable. I've done it for the Xa2.

It is not as simple as the Bh200 and it will only play PAL dvds in the proper frame rate -50fps, not in the standard 60pfs of NTSC TVs. In other words it will not convert the PAL signal to work with North American TVs.

Also for certain Region 1 DVDs (like FOX dvds) you have to enter a simple code on the remote to ignore the region cookie or whatever on the disk.

Don't get me wrong the Xa2 hack works great and I never had problems using it.

But I know not everyone is at ease with the technical hoops, you might want to consider if it is something that might frustrate you or whoever will be using it with you.
Can you please teach me how you hack it, I couldn't find it in the net
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemoo View Post
thanks guys for your great input, I bought a used XA2 it will be here in few days.

Can you please teach me how you hack it, I couldn't find it in the net
I'll look for the links.

First step is checking what Firmware the XA2 is at.

And most importantly do not update it. I think I did the hack on early 2.0 firmware. I believe the hack used the 2.8 update.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM

I have a link to the regionfree firmware, but I'm not allowed to post URLs until I have 10 posts or more. Let's see if I can write it this way:
http : // cid-6948f2460bdd190c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Toshiba%20HD%20DVD%20players/Regionfree%20firmware/HD-XA2%20into%20HD-XE1

You will need to remove a couple of spaces in the beginning.

What you actually do is to convert your player from an American XA2 to a regionfree European XE1. The player will output NTSC when playing NTSC discs, and output PAL when playing PAL discs. The default will however be PAL, so it's important to check first that your TV or projector can handle PAL.

It can be run on any current firmware.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post
I have a link to the regionfree firmware, but I'm not allowed to post URLs until I have 10 posts or more. Let's see if I can write it this way:
http : // cid-6948f2460bdd190c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Toshiba%20HD%20DVD%20players/Regionfree%20firmware/HD-XA2%20into%20HD-XE1

You will need to remove a couple of spaces in the beginning.

What you actually do is to convert your player from an American XA2 to a regionfree European XE1. The player will output NTSC when playing NTSC discs, and output PAL when playing PAL discs. The default will however be PAL, so it's important to check first that your TV or projector can handle PAL.

It can be run on any current firmware.
million THAAANKS, can't wait to try it! I believe the player already 4.0 fw update.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemoo View Post
million THAAANKS, can't wait to try it! I believe the player already 4.0 fw update.
It doesn't matter if your player is on firmware version 4.0. You will still be able to run the regionfree firmware. Reapply version 4.0 after making your player regionfree.