Toshiba HD-XA2 problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

Default Toshiba HD-XA2 problem

I am having flickering or jolting problems with the picture during HD DVD playback at 1080p. I have the latest 1.6 firmware update but the problem is still present. Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 PM

Does this happen on one or two discs or all of them? And did you try switching to component at 1080i to see if the same thing occurs?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned

It is happening with all discs. I have not tried 1080i with component. But what I did do was set the progressive play back option to film and video instead of auto and that worked for one of the movies I saw it in.

Change of topic real quick, what is a better setting film or video?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp108 View Post
It is happening with all discs. I have not tried 1080i with component. But what I did do was set the progressive play back option to film and video instead of auto and that worked for one of the movies I saw it in.

Change of topic real quick, what is a better setting film or video?
Well it really depends on your personal preference as to which setting is better since adjusting it alters the way color, brightness, etc. are handled. (video would do better with HD cam footage like in a documentary and film w/ 35mm based footage, as in a movie). Personally I would use auto, but you said that it creates problems for you. I would give the component connection a try first, and if the problem's still there you may need to look into getting your player looked at since the firmware is up to date. But even if the component is ok, that would mean the HDMI output is bad so after paying all the cash for the XA2 you would probably want to get it looked at anyway if you want the 1080p you paid for.

On a side note, did you try to downgrade to the previous firmware if possible? I have no clue if Toshiba's players will allow you to do it since I've never had to do it with my A1.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:06 PM

I'm having problems playing Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions on my XA2, anyone else having this problem? I'm using firmware 1.6
Old 05-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Well it really depends on your personal preference as to which setting is better since adjusting it alters the way color, brightness, etc. are handled. (video would do better with HD cam footage like in a documentary and film w/ 35mm based footage, as in a movie). Personally I would use auto, but you said that it creates problems for you. I would give the component connection a try first, and if the problem's still there you may need to look into getting your player looked at since the firmware is up to date. But even if the component is ok, that would mean the HDMI output is bad so after paying all the cash for the XA2 you would probably want to get it looked at anyway if you want the 1080p you paid for.

On a side note, did you try to downgrade to the previous firmware if possible? I have no clue if Toshiba's players will allow you to do it since I've never had to do it with my A1.
You can't rollback to a previous firmware version. I am definatley going to call Toshiba and see what they can do. Its not horrible issue but I want the picture to be perfect, which this machine can do.