Possible A1 problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Possible A1 problems

My HD-A1 is functioning normally as far as playing disks is concerned, but there are a few minor quirks I've been noticing more and more lately that I'm not sure what to make of.

1st is the audio signal through the optical hookup. When the player is playing a standard DVD, menu screens will display for about 1-2 seconds before the background audio finally cuts in (with the 1st few secs of the track cut off). I wouldn't think anything of it except for the fact that a cheap $40 DVD player of mine doesn't even do that, and seems to read DVDs much quicker as well.

Second is shutdown. When I power-down the player, the screen turns to vertical green bars during the shutdown process before turning to black just as the player is finally ready to turn off. Is this normal or could there be a problem w/ the video card inside the player?

Yeah I'm nitpicking, but I just want to make sure this player isn't a lemon waiting to happen.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
1st is the audio signal through the optical hookup. When the player is playing a standard DVD, menu screens will display for about 1-2 seconds before the background audio finally cuts in (with the 1st few secs of the track cut off). I wouldn't think anything of it except for the fact that a cheap $40 DVD player of mine doesn't even do that, and seems to read DVDs much quicker as well.
I know that this doesn't really answer your question but I have the same exact problem with the Toshiba upconverting DVD player I use in my bedroom - of course it is hooked up to a cheap ($120 for receiver + speakers) surround receiver system, so that might be the problem as well. I don't know if it's an issue with Toshiba chipsets or if possibly it could be a receiver issue. I've learned to ignore it.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I know that this doesn't really answer your question but I have the same exact problem with the Toshiba upconverting DVD player I use in my bedroom - of course it is hooked up to a cheap ($120 for receiver + speakers) surround receiver system, so that might be the problem as well. I don't know if it's an issue with Toshiba chipsets or if possibly it could be a receiver issue. I've learned to ignore it.
I actually use the A1 in my bedroom as well with a cheaper Panasonic Receiver. I haven't really tried to bring the A1 into the basement to hook it up to that receiver (Sony), but I'm doubting it's the receiver because I used to have a regular DVD player hooked up before I got the A1 and it didn't have that problem. I guess it's jut the Toshiba chipset.