Toshiba HD-A30 Disc Scratching / firmware problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Toshiba HD-A30 Disc Scratching / firmware problem

Hello folkz,

As a fan of High-Def I would like to appeal to you with the following problem...

I have a Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player (firm. 4.0/2.0), which I really like, but lately it has been causing me a lot of worries... Here's why.

I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with playback, i.e. it seems I can NOT finish 1 movie without it hanging at least once. Sometimes yes, but often it freezes, or the DRIVE starts loading like repeatedly while nothing happens. A reset usually fixes this, but it keep happening, playback is otherwise pretty good actually...

What's worse, I wonder if it POSSIBLE that my PLAYER is actually SCRATCHING my discs... I always buy them "new & sealed" and I don't suppose disc come scratches when factory sealed (or could I be wrong here...???).

I thought maybe it was a firmware issue or (a 1080p/24hz vs. 1080p) issue, but I just don't know anymore.

I am willing to downgrade or try anything, but worst of all; I am worried it is SCRACTHING my discs... (has anyone come across a Toshiba doing that???).

Thanks allot everyone for your help/suggestions!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 PM

scratching has not happened with me; had problems with 3 discs: Rattle & Hum and Gods & Generals, but firmware fixed them; Ocean's 13 wouldn't load on either my A-30 or Samsung BD-UP5000, but, got it to load on Samsung after several tries
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 PM

I have had very few problems with my HD-A30. It would not load "300" Combo disc for me recently and mine is on version 4.0 as well. That is the first time that has happened to me with that firmware version. Can you see scratches on the discs? I think it is very unlikely that the player is scratching discs but if you can see scratches and the discs were new, it seems clear to me that the player is scratching the discs.

Chris
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 PM

I have had Inside Man skip on me...as well as Children Of Men. But, I returned them to BB at the time and no worries ever since. Everything else has played flawless...with no firmware update of any kind.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks for all your reactions, I really appreciate it!

Fact is that my discs are usually new (so not scratched), but I've just recently started checking them rigorously, because I do consider it a possibility the player-drive is scratching them up... (can a drive make NON-CIRCULAR scratches ???)

It's not just a particular HD-movie either, many tend to hang, and then a reset fixes all, but it ruins the watching experience of course

MORE SPECIFIC...:
At a random time it will start stuttering an the image freezes, though the clock continues to add seconds... but I have yet to see it recover. And the ODD things is, sometimes it's a dust-particle, but sometimes that same scene will play PERFECTLY after a reset.

The drive starts loading though (allot!) when such a moment occurs (zig zig, zig zig-like noise...)
I've now downgraded to 1.3 now, to see if that helps...

THANKS AGAIN PEOPLE !!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank7 View Post

Fact is that my discs are usually new (so not scratched), but I've just recently started checking them rigorously, because I do consider it a possibility the player-drive is scratching them up... (can a drive make NON-CIRCULAR scratches ???)

It's not just a particular HD-movie either, many tend to hang, and then a reset fixes all, but it ruins the watching experience of course

MORE SPECIFIC...:
At a random time it will start stuttering an the image freezes, though the clock continues to add seconds... but I have yet to see it recover. And the ODD things is, sometimes it's a dust-particle, but sometimes that same scene will play PERFECTLY after a reset.

The drive starts loading though (allot!) when such a moment occurs (zig zig, zig zig-like noise...)

THANKS AGAIN PEOPLE !!
Good luck Hank. Welcome to the site.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:

MORE SPECIFIC...:

THANKS AGAIN PEOPLE !!
It sure sounds like the laser is struggling to lock in on and read the data off the disk which usually means scratches, damage, dirt or a defective disc. I've had an A30 running in my home theater since I got it last December (2007) and the few times it has struggled reading a disk, it has turned out to be either defective and a replacement disc worked perfectly, or a speck of dust or dirt which cleaning removed and then it played just fine. Only 1 problem encountered turned out to be firmware related for me (menus not working correctly on "The Contract" HD-DVD). The very next Toshiba firmware update fixed that problem perfectly. I've never seen any evidence of my player damaging my discs in any way.
How do you clean your discs? Do you use a device of some sort or just wipe them with something? There are numerous approaches to this - and occasional controversy - but I have been using a Discwasher rotating cleaning device on all optical media for many years very successfully with excellent results.
Another thought - do these discs play ok on some other player?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Good luck Hank. Welcome to the site.
Thanks !!

Quote:
It sure sounds like the laser is struggling to lock in on and read the data off the disk which usually means scratches, damage, dirt or a defective disc. I've had an A30 running in my home theater since I got it last December (2007) and the few times it has struggled reading a disk, it has turned out to be either defective and a replacement disc worked perfectly, or a speck of dust or dirt which cleaning removed and then it played just fine.
That's what I thought it was, but at some stage I was really wondering whether it was dust? It is possible, but then the coincidence of this happening so often... is striking...!

Quote:
I've never seen any evidence of my player damaging my discs in any way. How do you clean your discs?
Well I try not to clean them, but if I do I try to just blow on them, so the mini-dust-hairs are ridden of the surface, like I said, I buy them NEW, and usuaully there's not a spec on them... I do not like cleaning a disc, for rubbing in any way will cause scratches most of the times...

Quote:
Do you use a device of some sort or just wipe them with something? There are numerous approaches to this - and occasional controversy - but I have been using a Discwasher rotating cleaning device on all optical media for many years very successfully with excellent results.
I'd never use that, seen as disc should be cleaned from center-to-outer-rigde, It works, because the surface does get cleaned, but personally I would NOT recommend using one of these methods/devices (the controversy is true imho). Thanks though!

Quote:
Another thought - do these discs play ok on some other player?
Good Point!! Actually no, I haven't but by the randomness of it and the amount of movies that have hung, and the pristine condition they are in, it's obvious that either:

a) the player is really critical of reading discs, even with the slightest of dust.
-or-
b) the firmware is causing the problems, i.e. the hangs...
-or-
c)... there's a (technical) problem, i.e. a drive-issue

Of course I'll have to sit and watch movies every time I try something new (like the new Firmware now) to see if there are improvements.

If the 2 next movies work, I will think the FIRMWARE was the cause...
I will surely post noteworthy changes, beit positive or negative, also to help people with a similar problem.

THANKS EVERYONE for all the MAJOR IMPUT !!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'd never use that, seen as disc should be cleaned from center-to-outer-rigde, It works, because the surface does get cleaned, but personally I would NOT recommend using one of these methods/devices (the controversy is true imho).
The device I use does, in fact, clean the disc along a path between the center hub and outer rim and does not clean anything in a circular motion following the data track on the disc. See attached picture for what appears to be the latest iteration of this product which has been around for many years. Like I mentioned earlier, I have used this for many years on all types of CD sized optical media with excellent results and no adverse effects. But, to each his own . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Toshiba HD-A30 Disc Scratching / firmware problem-disccleaner.jpg  

Last edited by Rich86; 04-04-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM

I was looking for somwthing like that.. Where did you get it from and howmuch?