Toshiba XDE question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Default Toshiba XDE question

Does this player still play HD DVDs? I know Toshiba is not "actively" supporting the format, but couldn't they include playback ability in all their future players still?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
Does this player still play HD DVDs? I know Toshiba is not "actively" supporting the format, but couldn't they include playback ability in all their future players still?
Still? It never did. It is a regular upscaling DVD player, that only plays DVDs.

As far as I know none of their future players will play HD DVD, since they abandoned the format on 2/19/08.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 AM

There is absolutly no new support for HD DVD, you'll have to buy a used player off ebay or something if you want a new one. I wouldn't recommend buying an XDE personally, there are better upscalers out on the market, many of them are also bluray players. Why waste space on a dedicated DVD player, particularly when it's only a decent but not great DVD upscaler?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM

The XDE is an upconverter, that's all.

Tested one last week for 24fpz on dvd and it did worked. I don't know about better upconverters being on the market, it did as good a job as the Xa2 and maybe better in some small areas. Not enough for me to justify it when I have a XA2.

I'm not sure about many of the "best" upconverters being blu players also, generally blu players are decent upconverters but not brilliant or the best. There are a few that are top of the line upconverters but they are probably at high end. Lower end will probably be mediocre in conversions

The best upconverter is probably an Oppo DVD player, maybe blu if they have one out now.

If all you want is dvd upconversion then a cheap XDE will be ok. As long as you do not pay a lot for it.

If you want HD DVD and great upconversion in one player then a XA2 or Onkyo 805HD will be more what you are looking for and hard to find at that.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:16 AM

I've got an A30 & a hhhhdvd bbblu Samsung BD-UP5000; the Samsung has the same CHIP as the XA2 and the 805HD (still want 1 of each); yet for some DVD the A30 does a better job of up-conversion; on t'other hand the Samsung makes some DVD, previously unwatchable on the A30, worth watching...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 AM

I picked up a customer return Toshiba XD-E500 and think is a really nice player. I don't think it is as good as a few other players I own but I could watch most DVD's using the player without complaint. The scaling and edge enhancement works really well. I wouldn't recommend getting one if something better than a Toshiba HD DVD player is wanted and considering Toshiba HD DVD players are often priced about the same, I think an HD DVD player is a much better deal.

I also own the HD-A30 and HD-XA2 and without spending time doing in depth comparisons, I would place the XD-E500 between the two, slightly better than the HD-A30. All three are very good and none of them make DVD look like HD DVD or Blu-ray, I know I am watching a DVD when playing a DVD with any of them.

I recommend picking up a couple of inexpensive HD DVD players if you are interested in keeping a collection of HD DVD for the long haul and just use one of those for DVD. I thought I might use my XD-E500 for DVD a lot to save wear and tear on my true HD players but that hasn't happened, even though it is very small and takes up very little space I decided too many players in one location is too many players, small or not, and it is sitting in the closet right now.

Chris
Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM

I use the XDE player for DVDs to save wear and tear on my HD players, watch a lot of TV shows on DVD is why.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 PM

I picked up and XDE customer return at a really low price, to use for an upconverting region free player (there's a simple hack keying in a code with the remote). But, I can't get any output via HMDI - which kinda defeats the purpose in getting it as it won't upconvert over component, and probably why it was so cheap. But I'm not convinced the HDMI port is bad. I tried resetting the player to factory defaults, which selected component output. Now when I select either HDMI or P-Scan, it does exactly the same thing - warning me that not all HDTVs support P-scan, and if I select "Yes", if I can't see the confirmation screen and click "yes" to confirm, it will revert back to the current resolution. I'm viewing this on composite video; when I click Yes and confirm, and switch to the HDMI input on my TV, still no signal. According to the manual, P-Scan is for component output, for TVs that support progressive scan over component. So, I don't get why it's giving me that warning when HDMI output is selected.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM

That is strange.

What I noticed about the XDE I tested was that is was very particular about when it was selected. If the HDMI source wasn't on the XDE when it was turned on it wouldn't recognise anything. At least not with the HDMI.
Never did check to see if the other outputs were on or not.

I had to make sure the HDMI switcher or receiver were on to the xde before it powered up.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 AM

CochiseGuy

This happened to me as well, what worked for my player was to go to the VIDEO setting in the setup menu and try these settings.........

Aspect Ratio 16:9
View Mode Auto Fit
Video Out HDMI
HDMI Resolution 1080i or 1080P (whatever your display is)
JPEG Interval Off

Make sure you do not have Component cables hooked up to it when you try this. Composite and HDMI cables are ok at the same time.