HD DVD Lens Cleaner? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Default HD DVD Lens Cleaner?

Not actually sure on this one - can I use my Maxxell DVD lens leaner on my A30 or do I need another one (like for a Blu Ray)?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santora View Post
Not actually sure on this one - can I use my Maxxell DVD lens leaner on my A30 or do I need another one (like for a Blu Ray)?

Thanks
Mark
Do not use any cleaner that has brushes or chemicals on it. The laser lens for Hd DVD players and Bly Ray players are very delicate and I have heard some stories of uncalalibrated lasesrs because they use these types of cleaners. I went ahead and got the one that Amazon has for these type of players and it has worked just fine for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-BR-LC-B...7859409&sr=8-1
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unam9 View Post
Do not use any cleaner that has brushes or chemicals on it. The laser lens for Hd DVD players and Bly Ray players are very delicate and I have heard some stories of uncalalibrated lasesrs because they use these types of cleaners. I went ahead and got the one that Amazon has for these type of players and it has worked just fine for me.

that's the one I was looking at. Cant find it locally though... Will have to order it through Amazon.

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

check Best buy, I'm in Canada however but saw it at my local best buy a few weeks ago.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unam9 View Post

"Wind Funnel cleaning technology uses no harsh chemicals or brushes"

Wouldn't compressed air do the same thing? It's really dusty where I am in southern Arizona. Part of my Spring Cleaning routine is to take my PC, AV receiver & players out on the porch, remove the covers, and hit them with compressed air to clean out the dust.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM

My XA2 isn't loading discs. I've cleared persitant storage and intilaized it. Has anyone opened one up and cleaned the laser lens with a qtip and alcohol?
Bad idea? I know to be gentle....
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
My XA2 isn't loading discs. I've cleared persitant storage and intilaized it. Has anyone opened one up and cleaned the laser lens with a qtip and alcohol?
Bad idea? I know to be gentle....
I've used that method on cd players with success, but have never had to try it on a dvd or high def player. You might try a can of compressed air carefully aimed in the area of the lens before resorting to opening up the player. But if the lens is out of alignment, cleaning isn't going to help.