HD-DVD, PAL, NTSC and SD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Default HD-DVD, PAL, NTSC and SD

I am trying to consolidate 3 dvd players.
I have a blu-ray that is fine - pioneer bdp51.

I want to get a new player to consolidate my Toshiba A2 HD-DVD with my standard definition PAL/NTSC player and has HDMI(I have a couple PAL SD dvds). Is there such a player that is not very expensive and plays HD-DVD and also PAL standard def dvds ?

Or - is there a real hack for my A2 to play PAL standard-def dvds ?

I use a PRO-FPJ1 projector that is NTSC/PAL compatible.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrep99 View Post
I am trying to consolidate 3 dvd players.
I have a blu-ray that is fine - pioneer bdp51.

I want to get a new player to consolidate my Toshiba A2 HD-DVD with my standard definition PAL/NTSC player and has HDMI(I have a couple PAL SD dvds). Is there such a player that is not very expensive and plays HD-DVD and also PAL standard def dvds ?

Or - is there a real hack for my A2 to play PAL standard-def dvds ?

I use a PRO-FPJ1 projector that is NTSC/PAL compatible.

Thanks in advance!
I think you're SOL on that.There aren't any code hacks for hd dvd players as far as i know.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:28 AM

The best player for you would be the LG BH200. It's out of production so you'll probably have to wind up settling for a used a model. They're also pretty highly sought after so don't expect to find a deal on one.

It'll do HD DVD, Blu-ray (with the ability to change regions), DVD region free + PAL.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:01 AM

There is a hack for the A2, I chickened out of trying it.
However I do have a xa2 that is DVD region hacked.
I have heard of a few people that said they successful hacked the a2's region code. Supposedly it is possible for the A3 series as well, but that was a rumor last I heard.

It is a hassle to hack a A2 or XA2. There are write ups on how to do it and what is necessary (Hex editor and such). If the get chance I'll look it and and post the link.

Truthfully a bh200 is breeze to hack the regions on, it is easy to go back and forth with the setting without burning a disc or needing to use a hex edition on the PC.

Some info and link for the bh200 this thread LG BH200 FW Questions

I love my a2 and xa2, both are troopers but a pain to hack.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM

To the OP

Are you looking for player just to play back PAL dvds on a NTSC TV (60fps)? or for a way play pal as they were meant to be played (50fps)?
If it is to play back PAL dvds on NTSC TV the A2 hack will not work. The xa2/a2 hack makes the player play back PAL back at the proper rate (50fps)

I attempted to do this hack with a A2 and chickened out before the finish. I did successful complete this hack with a XA2.

Here is the link to the AVS Thread. It should have most of the info you need, and if not it should link to the threads with the right info.

Good luck
Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM

Also a modded XA2 won't convert PAL to NTSC, so if your TV won't do it either (my Panny plasma won't), then you'll get only sound and no video from PAL discs.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

I am in the same boat. However, I gave up on "consolidating" players. In addition to a hhhhdvd player and a bbblu player, I will be keeping my Pioneer region-free DVD player for all my non-region 1 stuff.

I took out my VCR from the rack because I only use it to play tapes when I record them to DVD-R. I just bring it out when I need it and plug it into the froint of my receiver.