Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive not reading HD-DVD's anymore. Anyone else? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Default Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive not reading HD-DVD's anymore. Anyone else?

Hey all,

My HD-DVD player for my Xbox 360 seems to be having some problems reading HD-DVD's of late. It plays DVD's just fine, but I tried 4 or 5 HD-DVD's a couple nights ago, and no luck.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

You could try reinstalling the driver from the drivers disc. If that doesn't work then I guess there is a problem with the drive.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I once had a DVD drive that would no longer read or write DVD but CD was fine. It went to Dell for replacement. These kind of things do happen.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:11 PM

You know, I remember at one point I had an issue with my 360 HD-DVD Player not playing certain discs. As it turns out, the 360 would automatically download additional information for some discs. After it would finish, some of the discs wouldn't play. I had to go into the 360's memory & delete the additional information that downloaded. I vividly recall this problem with Transformers & American Gangster, but I think there were a few others. I hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM

I actually read a forum about this issue maybe a week ago, but I seriously can't remember how I came across it. I do recall a few posters commenting that if they removed the 360 HD player, then plugged it back in, it occasionally would fix the error of the film they were trying to play. I know that sounds far fetched, but at least 3 posters had replied with the same results.

Also, like has been mentioned above, clearing your 360 addon's memory cache seems to fix a lot of the issues with playback.

I should probably check my addon to see if it still works.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul1974 View Post
You know, I remember at one point I had an issue with my 360 HD-DVD Player not playing certain discs. As it turns out, the 360 would automatically download additional information for some discs. After it would finish, some of the discs wouldn't play. I had to go into the 360's memory & delete the additional information that downloaded. I vividly recall this problem with Transformers & American Gangster, but I think there were a few others. I hope this helps.
I had the same issues, but after I would delete the downloaded content, it would just do it again, and then would stop playing the disc again, ever.

The Ultimate Matrix Trilogy was the perfect example. The first film wouldn't even be recognized as a hd-dvd disc, while the other two played fine.

I ended up getting a HD-A30 instead and have had zero problems.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonician View Post
I had the same issues, but after I would delete the downloaded content, it would just do it again, and then would stop playing the disc again, ever.

The Ultimate Matrix Trilogy was the perfect example. The first film wouldn't even be recognized as a hd-dvd disc, while the other two played fine.

I ended up getting a HD-A30 instead and have had zero problems.
Yeah, I'm ready to get a stand alone unit myself. What would be my best bet on finding a good deal one?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM

eBay is your best bet. Or Amazon. Craigslist would be iffy but another possibility. The classified section here is a good place to place a 'want to buy' ad.

And on that note, I want to send out a HUGE KUDOS to the admin here for not charging to place an ad. Very decent thing to do.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
eBay is your best bet. Or Amazon. Craigslist would be iffy but another possibility. The classified section here is a good place to place a 'want to buy' ad.

And on that note, I want to send out a HUGE KUDOS to the admin here for not charging to place an ad. Very decent thing to do.

Cool, thanks Splicer....I guess I'll start sniffing around & keep you all posted.