Toshiba Customer Service - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Toshiba Customer Service

Just thought I'd make a quick post on my recent experience... Just a nice bit of news, in the diminishing world of good HD-DVD news! ;-)

I bought an HD-E1 toward the end of 2007 (I think it's the equivalent of the American A2) Now when I first bought it, it occasionally had problems playing some SD DVDs. Usually it would accept them, but only after several tries. At the time, I foolishly put it down to it not being made for DVDs, and since I tended to use my multi-region player for my DVDs, I wasn't too fussed. Lately, it's started happening with my HD-DVDs as well, including not playing some of them at all.

Obviously this was really bugging me. I did't want to have to shell out on a another player for something I won't be buying anymore, but I still want to be able to play my existing HD-DVDs.

I rang up Toshiba customer services, and after a long wait, talked to someone, described the problem, and without any trouble, they offered to replace it, and asked if it was okay to swap for an HD-XE1 still in their stock (Which as most will probably know, is significantly better!) So that will be arriving in the next couple of days.

So even with those problems, after my warranty had run out, they're willing to keep me sweet with good customer service like that! Now I have to say, that's the type of customer service that keeps you buying their brand! ;-)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Awesome! Its great when a company stands behind their product.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty damn chuffed lol! I originally wanted an XE1 but couldn't really go for it due to price. Now I'll have one through a bit of luck and damn good customer service! :-)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

That's great news. Congratulations. Wonder what they would have given you had an HDA35 or equivalent. Is the XE1 progressive or interlaced?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 AM

The XE1 has the option of 24Hz, full 1080p(So yes, progressive) and full 5.1 analogue out. I don't think they offered it me as an automatic upgrade because of the problem with the E1, I think it was more just luck that they obviously have a few XE1s left, and probably no E1s, so it's what they had left to offer in replacement. The old reviews of it are all pretty much fantastic across the board. So Woohoo!!! :-D
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM

Toshiba rocks, it's a damn shame people let the format war cloud their vision about the quality of their products and services.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Well, they've certainly given me good reason to consider them first, any time I buy new AV gear in the future. :-)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM

The quality of the HD DVD format and Toshiba's players has convinced me that my next HDTV will be a Toshiba.

I just wish they offered a broader array of gear.

Last edited by Centauri; 02-27-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 AM

Well, I must admit, the enthusiasm of getting the XE1 has prompted me to get another 4 cheap HD-DVDs that I had considered getting, but probably wouldn't have done otherwise! :-)

Yeah, same here, over my next HDTV. In all honesty, till the good-value-for-money that was HD DVD, all my AV gear till now has been Sony. But the customer service with Toshiba, has certainly swayed me to give them far more consideration, as they do tend to get equal/better reviews on a lot of gear, while being considerably cheaper.

By the way, I'm a BIG B5 fan! Been mass-driving any Narn homeworlds lately? ;-)
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM

And thus the reason behind my avatar...