Concerned about Audio on Toshiba HD-A2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Concerned about Audio on Toshiba HD-A2

First off, this is first post but not my first visit to the forum. So . . ,

Greetings!

Now then, to the point.
I'm a definite supporter of HD-DVD technology not because I dislike Sony or becuase I find their technology poor in quality, but my support for HD-DVD is due to economics (price and quantity of film products) and to the fact that 50GB of storage space is so absurdly unnecessary for superb HD content. And although I have stayed away from the first generation players, I plan to purchase the Toshiba HD-A2 as a Christmas present to myself. But I've been reading other posts concerning the audio connections of the Toshiba player (as well as the audio quality on the 360 add-on), but I'm a bit confused as to the actual quality produced by the connections themselves. I understand that to hear TrueHD or DTS-HD one needs a receiver with an HDMI input, which I do not have at the moment; but the question remains, will I still hear excellent sound through the analog connections on the system I have now? Or is the better choice the Optical Digital/Coax for DD+, which I understand sounds freaking awesome?

Here's my setup:
30" Sony 1080i
Yamaha HTR-5840 6.1
JBL speakers (smaller versions of those in theaters purchased online)

Should I just buy the HD-A1 because of the analog outputs, or do you think the Optical Digital/Coax on HD-A2 through my Yamaha will provide superb sound? Keep in mind that I will purchase a receiver with an HDMI input in a couple of years. I'm holding out for when DTS-HD can be decoded by said receivers, and also for when LOTR is released on HD-DVD.

Anyone with some advice about my next purchase is most welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 AM

Welcome to the forum. First off let me say that what people are talking about with the A2 versus the A1 is that those who do not have an HDMI receiver on the A2, you cannot here 5.1 Dolby TrueHD. The A1 has analog outputs (5.1) that hook directly into just about any receiver. The HD-A2 will feature HDMI 1.2a which is capable of passing through the already decoded 5.1 TrueHD (uncompressed PCM) into the receiver. So with the A2, if you want to experience the TrueHD, you have to upgrade your existing receiver. But if you dont care about it, then I wouldnt worry about it. Personally, I haven't heard TrueHD yet but I hear nothing but great things about it. Anyways I hope that was helpful.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 AM

That is helpful. Thanks a bunch.

But as I search throughout the forum , I'm discovering that others actually have answered my question in other threads. Problem was that you had to really search through the thread to see that some have discussed similar issues.

Thanks nonetheless.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 AM

when does this player come out excatly?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Soom peeps on the AVS Forums already seem to have one!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Dec. 11th or sometime next week last I heard.
But has anyone followed sales record of both formats? When I checked last, DVD wars website (http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm) shows a significant interest for Blu-ray and yet HD-DVD sells more. Anyone seen anything on sales of each standalone?

Last edited by eNoize; 12-06-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 PM

If you plan to buy an AVR with HDMI in the near future I'd look towards the A2. If you want TrueHD support for your current AVR then get an A1
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Both the A1 and A2 support TrueHD through HDMI (sends it out as PCM to your receiver) but if you do not have an HDMI receiver, the A1 can send the signal through analog 5.1 output. The downside is that its so big compared to the newer A2. I personally plan on getting the A1 because as soon as the A2 comes out, it should go down even further in price, and plus I will be able to enjoy 5.1 Dolby TrueHD now. Im waiting for HDMI 1.3 receivers next year before I get a higher end model.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:59 PM

Alright, I have officially joined the format wars! BB was having a clearance sale. not much of a price difference, but enough to make we buy now because I can't wait any longer.

Now, for the big audio question. When I go to 'setup,' am I to select Dynamic Range Control or SPDIF or Speaker Setting for the analog 5.1? And am I still going to hear the DTS-ES option on the SD of "Gladiator" through the analogs? Any advice?

I'm really excited to start watching all the movies I've already purchased.

Last edited by eNoize; 12-10-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:39 AM

Alright, I need someone to help me out here, please. After doing the 'Setup' and setting the preferences, I only get video through component video output even though I have the HDMI connected to my tv. I've searched through the manual and the 'Setup' section, but still can't locate where to switch over to HDMI.
Please help!