A2 Audio Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Default A2 Audio Question

So, I have scoured the boards for this one, and it's left me more confused than anything.

I have an A2 and a Panasonic XR-57 receiver. The receiver is HDMI 1.2 I believe. So what should I have the audio settings at? Right now, I have HDMI to auto and SPDIF to bitstream. Am I better off setting the HDMI to PCM?
Reason I ask is that I have my PS3 set to linear PCM and the sound is spectacular. With it set to "auto" is it essentialy the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
So, I have scoured the boards for this one, and it's left me more confused than anything.

I have an A2 and a Panasonic XR-57 receiver. The receiver is HDMI 1.2 I believe. So what should I have the audio settings at? Right now, I have HDMI to auto and SPDIF to bitstream. Am I better off setting the HDMI to PCM?
Reason I ask is that I have my PS3 set to linear PCM and the sound is spectacular. With it set to "auto" is it essentialy the same thing?

Thanks in advance.
Having HDMI set to "auto" should be fine. In that setting, it will decode all audio on HD DVDs internally and output it as PCM, just like your PS3. Your received should be displaying "multi channel", indicating it is receiving PCM. For standard DVDs, the player will bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS, which your receiver should decode just fine.

But the Toshiba players do have a quirk with bass management. Change the SPDIF setting to "PCM" (even if your not using it), then change all of your speaker sizes to "Small" in the player. Your bass will be much stronger.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Cochise,

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!

My whole reason behind the question was I noticed a lack of dynamic/bass on the sound.

I'll give that a try and let you know. I'm sure that's going to help.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Having HDMI set to "auto" should be fine. In that setting, it will decode all audio on HD DVDs internally and output it as PCM, just like your PS3. Your received should be displaying "multi channel", indicating it is receiving PCM. For standard DVDs, the player will bitstream Dolby Digital or DTS, which your receiver should decode just fine.

But the Toshiba players do have a quirk with bass management. Change the SPDIF setting to "PCM" (even if your not using it), then change all of your speaker sizes to "Small" in the player. Your bass will be much stronger.
Conchise,

One more question. How in the menu do I set the speaker size in the A2 menu?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post
Conchise,

One more question. How in the menu do I set the speaker size in the A2 menu?
I was afraid you'd ask that - I forgot the A2 doesn't have speaker settings as it doesn't have multi-channel analog output.

Just set SPDIF to PCM, and make sure Dynamic Range Control and Dialog Enhancement are set to "Off", and see if that makes a difference for dynamic/bass. While you might thing having Dynamic Range Control set to "On" would improve bass, according to the manual it "makes faint sounds easier to hear even if you lower the volume during late-hour playback". You don't want the player trying to change anything in the original audio track.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Just one note, I found "Auto" to be preferable to PCM... The main and only real difference is this, that when set to "Auto" the player will in fact bitstream legacy codecs, this is desirable since personally I prefer my Onkyo 605's processing of legacy DTS and DD to the A30 (and A2's), I'm pretty sure you're going to be happier there with your Panasonic AVR as well.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Okay, one more question.

What is the deal with setting SPDIF. I've read in some places to set it to bitstream to "lessen" the processing on the A2 giving more dynamic sound. But now I guess bitstream is better? I'm running it HDMI to the XR-57, but what impact does the SPDIF setting have. Seems odd, or is this is glitch with the player?

Thanks again. This is awesome information for me.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM

Since my problem is somewhat related I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

I have the A2 as well. I just got a brand new Integra DTR 7.8 receiver which has HDMI 1.3a and all of the latest codecs. However, my A2 will not send the proper audio over the HDMI and if I switch to the SPDIF it always says DTS and isn't playing it in digital format. My previous receiver did the same thing with the SPDIF. I had it set on Bitstream.

I've read the manual and tried the recommended PCM setting on the HDMI. And I have tried Auto. No luck.

I have old firmware and I am about to load up 4.0 but I don't think that is the problem.

Anyone have any idea if my player is a problem or is there just some setting I'm missing somewhere. It isn't the receiver as other HDMI sources work perfectly.

Thanks
Matt
Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSwapGuy View Post
Since my problem is somewhat related I thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread.

I have the A2 as well. I just got a brand new Integra DTR 7.8 receiver which has HDMI 1.3a and all of the latest codecs. However, my A2 will not send the proper audio over the HDMI and if I switch to the SPDIF it always says DTS and isn't playing it in digital format. My previous receiver did the same thing with the SPDIF. I had it set on Bitstream.

I've read the manual and tried the recommended PCM setting on the HDMI. And I have tried Auto. No luck.

I have old firmware and I am about to load up 4.0 but I don't think that is the problem.

Anyone have any idea if my player is a problem or is there just some setting I'm missing somewhere. It isn't the receiver as other HDMI sources work perfectly.

Thanks
Matt
On digital optical / SPDIF bitstream output, the A2 converts all audio to DTS. This is unique to the A2; the A3 outputs Dolby Digital as Dolby Digital.

For HDMI and HD DVDs, the A2 decodes the audio internally and outputs it as PCM; your receiver will display "multi channel". I assume when you say the "A2 will not send the proper audio" you're expecting your receiver to say "TrueHD" or "Dolby Digital Plus"? The A2 cannot bitstream HD DVD audio, only the A35, XA2 & Onkyo HD805 can do that. On regular DVDs if you set the HDMI audio to "Auto", it will send the Dolby Digital or DTS audio to the receiver.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
On digital optical / SPDIF bitstream output, the A2 converts all audio to DTS. This is unique to the A2; the A3 outputs Dolby Digital as Dolby Digital.

For HDMI and HD DVDs, the A2 decodes the audio internally and outputs it as PCM; your receiver will display "multi channel". I assume when you say the "A2 will not send the proper audio" you're expecting your receiver to say "TrueHD" or "Dolby Digital Plus"? The A2 cannot bitstream HD DVD audio, only the A35, XA2 & Onkyo HD805 can do that. On regular DVDs if you set the HDMI audio to "Auto", it will send the Dolby Digital or DTS audio to the receiver.
The thing is on the digital optical it isn't converting it to 5.1 DTS. It's two channel.

As for the HDMI, the manual indicates that if I set it on PCM it can send the True HD (or whatever other) to the receiver. And that would be fine. The receiver can decode it. But what comes across is 2 channel, just like with the optical.

What the heck kind of player did I buy that advertises the HD sound but makes it so difficult to get it?

I wouldn't care if the lights were on on the receiver provided I was getting the HD multi channel sound. But I'm not.

I'm just frustrated.

Oh, and the regular DVDs work just fine. I get the appropriate multi channels and lights.