Help with 4.0 Firmware - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 PM

Default Help with 4.0 Firmware

I just plugged in my HD-A3 to the internet after not having it connected for a long time. Anyway, it had version 1.1 on it and it said to upgrade to 1.3. I did the upgrade and had dinner. I came back and it was powered down. I powered back up and went to the update screen and it is showing 4.0/2.0. I click upgrade and it shows "Software is already updated. The process will end."

Why is it doing that? I thought the left version was the newest and the right one was your current one.

Can anyone help me out?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

Pretty sure that it's up to the latest when showing 4/2 , I'm not 100% positive though as I alway's update when it comes up and use the disc method to update and rarely look.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhefer1 View Post
Pretty sure that it's up to the latest when showing 4/2 , I'm not 100% positive though as I alway's update when it comes up and use the disc method to update and rarely look.
I was looking into it more and I think it is the current one.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHusker View Post
I just plugged in my HD-A3 to the internet after not having it connected for a long time. Anyway, it had version 1.1 on it and it said to upgrade to 1.3. I did the upgrade and had dinner. I came back and it was powered down. I powered back up and went to the update screen and it is showing 4.0/2.0. I click upgrade and it shows "Software is already updated. The process will end."

Why is it doing that? I thought the left version was the newest and the right one was your current one.

Can anyone help me out?
No, the player always displays only the current version installed - it doesn't know what the newest version is until you click "Update". 4.0 is the latest (and probably last) FW version.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM

I think it's system firmware/drive firmware, so that's right. It wouldn't have done a 2-step upgrade anyway (to 1.3 and then to 4.0)
Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 AM

does FW 4.0 fix combo format disks freezing?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

^^^^I tried Miami vice the other day for the first time and its a combo, The movie locked up on my A3 running firmware v3. I tried it several time's and it froze each time at the exact spot, I could skip it though and it would resume about 10 mins further. Anyway's I then updated to Version 4 and put miami vice back in and it played through the scene without freezing or skipping.....
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 AM

oh good im gonna give brokeback a whirl hopefully wont have switch to DVD side once divorce scene hits. usualy always freezes that point.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 PM

I just called Toshiba, and they are sending me the 4.0 firmware disc for my A2 and my A3. That is probably the easiest route, at least it was for me.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM

I recently upgraded my a35 to 4/2 firmware and I too had problems with combo discs freezing (superman returns and the kingdom come to mind). After the firmware my superman returns played find but the kingdom still locked up. I actually tried the running hot water and cleaning with mild soap trip. I am not sure how but it worked after that, I tried several times on the same scene and it played through just fine. I read on a separate thread that the theory on the freezing for these combos is that when people remove the discs they apply to much pressure (thumb in center and fingers on the edge to removed from the case). This causes the poorly applied adhesive to dislodge a bit between the layers. Supposedly hot water/boiling the discs causes the glue to adhere again. The other theory is there is some residue on the disc left from manufacturing that causes problems, I am more inclined to believe the glue since it always occurs in the same spots. Futhermore on my Kingdom disc right before it freezes (and with my mute) I can hear the laser buzz a bit indicating some kind of layer change or adjustment is going on.