Firmware Updates A2 & A3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Default Firmware Updates A2 & A3

Are there any realistic upgrades that Toshiba might still put out for these models? I know they will never go 1080p, but I don't know if bistreaming is even physically possible with these models or DIVX capabilty especially since they have a USB port that goes nowhere.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM

I think 4.0 is probably it for all players. Maybe they would grace us with another one, just for improved stability if there are still any looming issues with a specific player, but I doubt even that. As far as possibilities? I don't think the A2 and A3 are possible of bitstream. However, the A3, I'm not sure exactly what ABT chip it uses, but 1080p may be possible, however if it hasn't been added, I surely wouldn't hold my breathe now.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure about 1080p capabilities (or Divx), but physically speaking, the A2 and A3 are not capable of ever bitstreaming the lossless codecs. It's a hardware issue, not a software issue. However, since these players already decode TrueHD and DD+ internally, I don't think it's a terrible loss. I suppose some people would argue that their receivers may decode the audio better than the players can, but I haven't seen any definitive arguments on that. The only real audio disadvantage I can see is that A2 and A3 owners cannot hear the Hi-Res versions of DTS. That being said the "core" dts, though lossy, still sounds pretty great.

I suspect that 4.0 is the end of the firmware updates.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on FW/UP's to add new features, that's just not going to be in the cards. Personally I'm very happy with the last FW/UP though, basically everything works now! Most bluray players can't say the same thing!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on FW/UP's to add new features, that's just not going to be in the cards. Personally I'm very happy with the last FW/UP though, basically everything works now! Most bluray players can't say the same thing!
I agree - my A30 has performed flawlessly so far on firmware 4.0 . . .