Bitstreaming question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Default Bitstreaming question

I think I'm correct in saying that the A35, XA2, and 805 are the only units that will bitstream TrueHD. Right?

Anyone know what happens if you bitstream to a receiver that can only decode regular DD?

My A3 decodes a TrueHD track and sends it as LPCM to my receiver as it should. It sounds great. But when I listen through headphones, it doesn't downmix anything. I only get the front main channels..... so I'll hear the score, explosions, and a tiny bit of dialog. But I'm missing all the main stuff from the center channel.

This only happens when the player decodes TrueHD (actually DD+ as well now that I think about it). But many of the shows/movies I want to watch late at night with headphones happen to use DD+ or TrueHD. So long story short: If I upgrade to an A35/XA2/805 (which I'd like to do anyway), what will happen to this bitstreamed audio?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM

In the player Setup menu, Audio, HDMI Out - set it to Downmixed PCM 2 channel when listening with headphones.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM

I have done that, but it is a chore to go into the menu and change that, watch the movie, then go back in and change it back each time. It is OK for now, but I would be happy if my receiver would treat the TrueHD/DD+ bitstream as regular DD. That would save me all the steps. Any ideas if that would work?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
I have done that, but it is a chore to go into the menu and change that, watch the movie, then go back in and change it back each time. It is OK for now, but I would be happy if my receiver would treat the TrueHD/DD+ bitstream as regular DD. That would save me all the steps. Any ideas if that would work?
Well, first of all, yes, only the Toshiba A35 & XA2, and Onkyo HD805 are the only units that will bitstream TrueHD (and DTS High Resolution & Master Audio). But if your receiver cannot decode TrueHD, I'm pretty sure the player will sense that and revert back to decoding & PCM output. If I don't have my Onkyo 605 receiver powered up before powering on my HD 805 player, the player disables bitstream for HD DVDs (standard DVD audio still bitstreams). But even if the player did bitstream TrueHD to your reciever, your receiver cannot extract regular DD from it, so you would get no audio at all.

Maybe there's a menu selection in your receiver to downmix to 2 channel stereo if you don't like going into your A3 menu to select it? Also, I think just about every HD DVD title with TrueHD / DD Plus audio also have a standard DD audio track - maybe just select that from the disc menu and settle for lower audio quality?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM

Most of my discs that need watching have only TrueHD or DD+. A few seem to have regular DTS or DD+ 2.0 tracks, but the vast majority do not. The other language tracks are always regular DD but that doesn't help.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't really make sense that my receiver would be able to somehow trim down a DD+/TrueHD track to standard DD..... I guess I'll have to just get used to using the menu every time.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM

There is a bios patch that allows the A30 to bitstream TrueHD over HDMI. I believe it also does the DD+. I recently acquired the patches but haven't had time to try them yet. I don't believe the A3 would be able to do it though as the hardware is quite different from the 30/35.

Mark
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM

the LG BH200 will also bitstream DD+, DD True HD, DTSHD, and DTS HD MA after updateing the firmware. Now if only they would unlock profile 2.0
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsantora View Post
There is a bios patch that allows the A30 to bitstream TrueHD over HDMI. I believe it also does the DD+. I recently acquired the patches but haven't had time to try them yet. I don't believe the A3 would be able to do it though as the hardware is quite different from the 30/35.

Mark
Where does one the infomation on getting this? It'd be nice if it dts-hd/ma as well but I doubt it's possible to make that work in SW... But being able to bitstream DD+ would probably be a big help.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hd-dv...-firmware.html
Old 01-15-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Where does one the infomation on getting this? It'd be nice if it dts-hd/ma as well but I doubt it's possible to make that work in SW... But being able to bitstream DD+ would probably be a big help.

Over on this thread on the British AVForums there is a chap that goes by Viking 61. He figured out how to make the Europe HD DVD players Region Free. In addition to that, he got the patch to work so that you can flash the A30 with the A35 bios. It will give you bit streaming ability. I have the files but haven't tried it. Will hopefully do it this weekend.

Unfortunately, I can't post the link, just go to avforums and look up Viking61 - the thread will be there. It's about making the units region free, but it's the a30-a35 info is in there too.

Good Luck.

Mark