CRT vs. LCD/PLASMA + HD-DVD: Pros/Cons - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM

Default CRT vs. LCD/PLASMA + HD-DVD: Pros/Cons

So I haven't really noticed a lot of discussion on here regarding this topic (not to say that there hasn't been), but I'd really like to hear some response regarding this. For me, I absolutely love the PQ of my Sony 420+ the A2. For now, I am convinced that extremely higher priced LCD/Plasma models in many instances cannot yet equal the natural film-like quality of a quality CRT picture. I have read many posts regarding this over on AVS and have also read many many magazine articles and the like on this topic. The general consensus--at this point in time--is that LCD/PLASMA has a ways to go. I am not considering projection in this comparison; just relatively inexpensive basic consumer flat-screens. There is no doubt that LCD/PLASMA technology is improving each day. In my view, however, it's just not there yet. Trust me, I would love to have the PQ of my crt equalled on a $1500 to $2500 Samsung or whatever flat-screen. I recently shopped with a friend, and didn't see anything remotely resembling the natural, nuanced PQ I am now used to. Anyway, I really just want to hear ya'lls opinions. Anybody leave a nice crt behind recently? Should I feel hopeful about the future of flat-screens as regards HD and SD viewing? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM

The cons of a CRT far outwiegh the Pros.

Weight, Screen Size and features are a big minus for CRT TVs. My buddy has a Sony KV-36XBR800. PQ is excellent, but it weighs close to 250 lbs, no 1080p and it's only 36 inches.

I on the other hand own a 57" DLP, 90 lbs and supports 1080p resolution, plus 2 HDMI ports.

Plasma is the closest I've seen to equalling a CRT tv, I've seen the Pioneer 50" Elite Plasma in action and the PQ is outstanding, but the price is a little steep. ($4500)
Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 PM

I agree with all the cons you mentioned. But PQ is the only issue I was limiting this comparison to because for me that's really all that matters barring something like the set weighing 1000 pounds. I mean these cons definitely blow, but the pq seems so far above what I've seen recently, that for me it's a moot point. That's why I was hoping to hear what people were finding out there that even came reasonaly close.