Have any A1/XA1 owners attempted hardware upgrades? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Have any A1/XA1 owners attempted hardware upgrades?

Upon receiving my A1 a few days ago, the first thing I did was remove the cover and gaze at its desktop-computer innards. I already knew what was inside before purchasing, but actually seeing the ease with which some of the components can be swapped out made me wonder if the A1 template is capable of performing better than stock components permit it to.

Specifically, I was thinking of swapping the HD DVD drive from one of my A3s into the A1 to see if it would improve load times. But I was worried about any potential hardware incompatibilities that might make me regret the experiment.

I also couldn't help but wonder what would happen if the Pentium 4 chip were replaced with a faster variant and the memory DIMM were swapped for one with a higher capacity.

Has anybody tried any of this stuff?
Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM

I was tempted myself, but I chickened out...

K-
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM

I am skeered................
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM

http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../21/75795.aspx
Just found this...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Banned

Oh hell no...curious to replace the 128MB (I think thats the correct size) thumb drive with a new one and see what happens. IIRC, its just a normal USB one I just got my fourth A1 family player (two A1's, 1 RCA, 1 xa1) so why not, right?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Isn;t the firmware on that drive... I suppose you would need to copy that over to the new drive. But also, even if this was tried, would the machine recognize the extra space?

K-
Old 12-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Upon receiving my A1 a few days ago, the first thing I did was remove the cover and gaze at its desktop-computer innards. I already knew what was inside before purchasing, but actually seeing the ease with which some of the components can be swapped out made me wonder if the A1 template is capable of performing better than stock components permit it to.

Specifically, I was thinking of swapping the HD DVD drive from one of my A3s into the A1 to see if it would improve load times. But I was worried about any potential hardware incompatibilities that might make me regret the experiment.

I also couldn't help but wonder what would happen if the Pentium 4 chip were replaced with a faster variant and the memory DIMM were swapped for one with a higher capacity.

Has anybody tried any of this stuff?
No, the most I've done is swap out motherboards, power boards and drives on the same model players - bought a cheap A30 sold broken, saying it didn't ready any disc, and swap in the drive from another broken A30 stuck on Welcome; worked fine.

You could try swapping an A3 drive into the A1, I'm pretty sure it won't hurt anything, it will just work or not work. But I suspect "not work", as those drives on the 1st gen players were made by someone else, while the drives in the 2nd & 3rd gen players were all made by Toshiba, so they may not be compatible. As for the CPU, you could probably swap in a faster P4 (as I recall, they were an older, slow P4), but the socket probably wouldn't fit other CPU models.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned

the drive in the A1 is a red laser by Nec..the others use a blu laser..not sure of the manufacturer
Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Red Laser, really? I thought the wavelength was to great to read the narrow-gapped info on HD-DVD?

Also: I don't see why the 1Gb of PC2700 Ram couldn;t be swapped out for more, but I'm still too chicken to try it.

K-
Old 12-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

sorry to disappoint..but that 's why hd dvd is referred to as red.....the first players..a1 and xa1 used red lasers which had issues with dirty discs, scratched discs, combos, etc...the next generation starting with the a2's used a blu laser which resolved most of the playback problems