HDMI/DVI issue with HD-A2 > Help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Default HDMI/DVI issue with HD-A2 > Help

I just got the HD-A2 (from Amazon. manufactured Feb 2007) and using a 25ft HDMI-DVI Cable (22AWG from Monoprice) I hooked it up to my LCD Projector (Panasonic PT-L500U) only to get a blue sceen on the wall. The projector does not see the player. I've been reading that 15ft is the limit for DVI. I do not have a shorter cable and I don't want to order a shorter one if it will not make a difference.
Anyone knows anything why I'm not getting a picture.

Last edited by HerculesBeast; 05-10-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerculesBeast View Post
I just got the HD-A2 (from Amazon. manufactured Feb 2007) and using a 25ft DMI-DVI Cable (22AWG from Monoprice) I hooked it up to my LCD Projector (Panasonic PT-L500U) only to get a blue sceen on the wall. The projector does not see the player. I've been reading the 15ft is the limit for DVI. I do not have a shorter and I don't want to order a shorter one if it will not make a difference.
Anyone knows anything why I'm not getting a picture.
The length is not the problem. I know someone who uses a 30 ft HDMI to DVI cable and it works just fine. Also, HDMI is backwards compatible with the DVI-D on your PT-L500U, so the conversion shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I can think of is exactly what you mentioned...handshake issues. This doesn't mean that the projector can't read the signal from the A2, it just means that it's having trouble detecting it. To see if it can be corrected, here's a few things to try...
  • try turning the projector on first, then the a2
  • Try turning the A2 on first, then the projector
  • Try playing with settings. Switch back and forth between 720p and 1080i and see if anything happens
  • Assuming you leave your projector on standby rather than actually switching the power off, try turning off the power and letting it sit for a few minutes. Then try the previous steps again.
  • And last but not least, I'm sure you've probably checked it a million times, but make sure the a2 is set to output HDMI and not component

If none of these work, it may be a bad cable, or the output on the a2/input on the projector might be bad. These are unlikely, but always possible. After you've tried these things, give us an update.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM

I cannot find the setting on the A2 for HDMI output only. Tha manual said both outputs are always active. I've tried the other steps to no avail.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerculesBeast View Post
I cannot find the setting on the A2 for HDMI output only. Tha manual said both outputs are always active. I've tried the other steps to no avail.
Hmm. It's kind of difficult for me to help too much because I don't own an A2, but an A1. It may be that your projector is simply not able to handshake with the a2 digitally. This isn't too common, but there were cases not too long ago of the 1st gen players not handshaking w/ certain displays (particularly DVI). I would try contacting Toshiba and explaining the problem..they may have gotten calls from other PT-L500U owners regarding the same issue. Until then, try connecting via component cables. It's not digital, but it will give you pretty much the same PQ with 720p/1080i.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 AM

Ok. Thanks.