XA2 and the movie 300 problem... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM

Default XA2 and the movie 300 problem...

Hi All -
Finally got around to unwrapping my sealed 300 movie on HD DVD. Unfortunately, when I go to play it in my XA2, the movie only plays for a few secs past the "FBI Warning" screen then stops and says "An error has occured" on the screen. I've played countless HD's on my XA2 without a single skip and now this one will not play AT ALL. It is NOT the combo version, probably just the one that came free with the players (I bought from someone on here separately). I tried it on my A30 upstairs and it plays perfectly thru the first 5 minutes. I was thinking it was a firmware deal on the XA2 so I updated from 3.0 to the new 4.0 but still the same problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Sometimes cleaning them really well with dishsoap and then Windex helps. I was getting the same error out of "The River". Someone suggested the same to me. I tried it and it worked. RainX works well as a finishing touch also. Just make sure to get it all wiped back off with a soft Kleenex. And make sure the Kleenex is not treated with something like Aloe. Just a regular Kleenex or toilet paper.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrichar View Post
Sometimes cleaning them really well with dishsoap and then Windex helps. I was getting the same error out of "The River". Someone suggested the same to me. I tried it and it worked. RainX works well as a finishing touch also. Just make sure to get it all wiped back off with a soft Kleenex. And make sure the Kleenex is not treated with something like Aloe. Just a regular Kleenex or toilet paper.
Thanks. I'll try that. On AVS, someone suggested cleaning as the first resort, then clearing out the persistent storage, then re-initializing the XA2. I have a disc cleaner motorized just for cleaning discs so I'll try that first tonite.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM

If cleaning won't help then it could just be a compatibility problem. I have a few hundred HD-DVD's and several players, and have encountered situations where a disc plays on one player fine but won't on another. Typically it is a combo disc issue, but there are also non-combo's that are finicky like that. My non-combo 300 doesn't seem to have an issue, but my copy of Swordfish just won't play correctly on one of my A3's. My non-combo version of Unleashed skips badly on half my players, but is just fine on the rest. hhhhdvd was pretty solid, but there were quirks.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
If cleaning won't help then it could just be a compatibility problem. I have a few hundred HD-DVD's and several players, and have encountered situations where a disc plays on one player fine but won't on another. Typically it is a combo disc issue, but there are also non-combo's that are finicky like that. My non-combo 300 doesn't seem to have an issue, but my copy of Swordfish just won't play correctly on one of my A3's. My non-combo version of Unleashed skips badly on half my players, but is just fine on the rest. hhhhdvd was pretty solid, but there were quirks.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, could be a compatibility deal. I was wondering if it was just my XA2 or alot of people have the same problem with their XA2 and that particular movie. Maybe there's static on the disc from unwrapping the celophane but like I said, it played on the A30.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Problem solved. I did a cleaning of the disc and the error remained shortly after startup. I wiped out ALL of the persistent storage and rebooted the machine. There was only 2mb out of the 128mb being used but that DID solve the problem. The movie plays fine now. Why would THAT cause the problem? Thanx to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conqst99 View Post
Problem solved. I did a cleaning of the disc and the error remained shortly after startup. I wiped out ALL of the persistent storage and rebooted the machine. There was only 2mb out of the 128mb being used but that DID solve the problem. The movie plays fine now. Why would THAT cause the problem? Thanx to everyone for your suggestions.
You probably only needed to clear out any Warner content out of memory, but no harm done. Yeah, some of the studios' content they put in memory conflicted with other discs from the same studio. I had that problem with some titles from both Universal and Warner; when I cleared out any content from those studios, the disc played fine. It might have been that you had a cookie from Warner for the combo disc of '300', and it conflicted with the HD DVD only version included with players.