Power Failure during Firmware update = uh oh - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Power Failure during Firmware update = uh oh

Hey guys. I was doing an update from 1.1 to 2.0 on my Toshiba A3, and during the last part (step 4 of 4), my power went out. Now when I try to turn the machine back on, it just shows "Welcome" on the player screen and nothing on the television. I even tried just pressing the "eject" button instead of powering on the player, and it does the same thing, but the tray doesn't open. Any suggestions? Is there some kind of reset button or firmware reset I can run? Or am I just toast? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martianman68 View Post
Hey guys. I was doing an update from 1.1 to 2.0 on my Toshiba A3, and during the last part (step 4 of 4), my power went out. Now when I try to turn the machine back on, it just shows "Welcome" on the player screen and nothing on the television. I even tried just pressing the "eject" button instead of powering on the player, and it does the same thing, but the tray doesn't open. Any suggestions? Is there some kind of reset button or firmware reset I can run? Or am I just toast? Thanks in advance.
Sorry to say it, but you are toast.

I'm always really nervous when I update my players, saying a little prayer that the power doesn't go out. That phase 4 of 4 is the most critical part - it's finalizing writing the update to flash memory, so the memory is now all corrupt. Toshiba is the only place I know of the be able to fix it. I'm sure it's out of warranty, so you might give them a call for a quote. It might be cheaper to buy an A3 on eBay. Look for seller 2ndturn - they sell used players, and often without remote or power cord which go for only $30-$40 shipped.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Ahh, that's a bummer. I figured as much, though. It was one of those things--we had just watched a movie, and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I'll update the firmware now." And when it failed, and I mean it was just a flicker but was apparently "enough", I was like, "I just had to 'fix' things, didn't I? Couldn't leave well enough alone, could I?"

I only paid $89 for it a little over a year ago (part of last year's "Black Friday"), and I've only got a handful of discs, so I don't know if I'll pull a new player or not. However, all the Circuit Citys are closing around me, so maybe they'll have some HD DVD players on the cheap. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Sorry to hear about that. I always take the precaution and plug my machine into a UPS before I do an upgrade just in case there's a power interruption.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 AM

^Sage advice...something I may start doing henceforward.