Dolby TrueHD via Toshiba HD A2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Dolby TrueHD via Toshiba HD A2

I saw on the toshiba website that it supports Dolby TrueHD but the machine itself is only HDMI 1.2, so how is it possible to have a TrueHD soundtrack?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM

You only need 1.1 to receive true hd as long as you have hdmi.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
BTW... If you have multi-channel analog inputs on your receiver you can get PCM through them so you don't even need HDMI to get lossless audio if your player has multi-channel analog outputs (for example the HDA1).
which is why I love the analog outs. I have an XA-1 and won't be upgrading my receiver for a long time (Just bought a new one in 2003).
Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 AM

Why is it that at the end the volume of the speakers is very low with True HD if you compare it with DD+ or DTS?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:01 AM

for those who also have the a2, how long is boot up time, mine takes a while, and do you have problems where you turn it on and when it shows up on the tv there is only a quarter of the screen displayed? is that hdmi problems?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
I hate quoting myself but it seems I may be wrong on this. According to what I've been reading on AVS it sounds like HD DVD and BD may not actually pass DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD to the receiver regardless of if they are HDMI 1.3.

I'm still researching this but it sounds like all current HD DVD and BD players will only internally decode Dolby TrueHD to PCM and then send it via HDMI or analog but neither format has a player that will convert or output DTS HD MA (which is beyond stupid since they are encoding disks with it) so any benefit of having an HDMI 1.3 compliant receiver is gone.

Stupid but atleast it saves me some money as there is NO reason to buy a new receiver now.
2 good reasons for HDMI 1.3: Deepcolor (up to 48bit color) and auto lip sync. Soon the days of lip sync problems will be gone!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Default A2 booting Up

Just had a short time with my A2 before I went on a 2 week vacation, but my first try at the A2 found that the program movie was started before the video appeared on my 40" Sony Bravia S.

Additionally, the Bitstream option gives NO audio on my JVC 884V receiver through digital fiberoptics connector. Have to go to PCM option and then get only 2 front channels. This was with Dreamgirls HD-DVD through Netflik. Will try other HD-DVD's when I return home and possibly standard RCA connectors to see if I can resolve the Dolby 5.1 issue.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
for those who also have the a2, how long is boot up time, mine takes a while, and do you have problems where you turn it on and when it shows up on the tv there is only a quarter of the screen displayed? is that hdmi problems?

Well, since my A2 is my first high def dvd player ( my Samsung BD-P1200 arrives this week ) I don't have a first gen. HD DVD player to comapire with. From totally off with no disc inside machine, I would guess 35 seconds to where you can open the tray to insert a disc.

As far as your other problem, I first turn on the tv, THEN the A2. Does this happen all the time ? Do you have the laters firmware ( 1.5 ) ? Maybe something in your tv or A2 is not properly set...4x3 instead of 16x9 maybe. And I doubt this, but may be worth a look....make sure your HDMI is plugged in ALL the way on the A2 and the tv. If none of the above...then maybe a lemon.