Fan Suddenly Loud on Toshiba HD-A2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 AM

Fan Suddenly Loud on Toshiba HD-A2

The fan on my Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player has started, without warning, running really hard and loud after being on a few minutes. Some details...
  • After one timing, it took 5 minutes 29 seconds to start running abnormally loud
  • The loud fan noise occurs when there is a disc in the drive AND when there is not.
  • I recently updated to firmware 4.0 (in case this is a problem)
  • The player is not next to a heater and did not have problems when it was warmer during the summer. To test it, I took it out of the multimedia cabinet, so it should have plenty of free flowing air around it. It seems unlikely that it is an external heat issue.

As soon as it starts running so hard, I shut off the player in case it is causing damage. So far, the last ten times I have turned it on, the exact same thing has happened each time.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 AM

sounds like the bearings in the fan are shot.... put a new fan in it or better yet get another A2 since they go for almost nothing on ebay.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 AM

Yeah My A35 started doing that. Where would one be able to get a new fan from Toshiba?

The fan is really loud never did it before.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnuts77 View Post
Yeah My A35 started doing that. Where would one be able to get a new fan from Toshiba?

The fan is really loud never did it before.
Toshiba has a list of dealers for Parts and Accessories on their website:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...ccessories.asp

You can search through them and see if any have a fan. But I searched through them looking for a remote, and most say "discontinued" for HD DVD parts.

But, not to hijack the thread or list something for sale in a wrong forum, I have some parts available. I've been buying some "dead players" from Dealtree on eBay. Buy a dead player that says "does not read any discs" and swap in a drive from a player purchased as "does not power up" and you have perfectly good player.

I have fans (and other parts) for the A2, A20, A3 & A30 (the fan for the A30 is interchangeable for the A35). Asking $10, including shipping via USPS.

To swap out the fan, you just remove the top cover, unscrew the 2 screws holding the fan to the back plate, pull out the small power plug from the circuit board, reverse process with new fan.

Last edited by Cochise; 11-26-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I have fans (and other parts) for the A2, A20, A3 & A30 (the fan for the A30 is interchangeable for the A35). Asking $10, including shipping via USPS.
I'll take an A2 fan if you'd be so kind.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I'll take an A2 fan if you'd be so kind.
PM replied to, thanks.

MODs: I'll create a new thread in the trading forums and edit my posts to refer there.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Yeah, replacing parts in these things is a snap. Especially if you are into computers at all.

Anyway, the 3.0 firmware bricked the board in my A2 and the warranty company wimped out on fixing it. (This is my original player that I paid $440 for with a 5 year warranty.) I have not been able to catch a broken A2 on ebay for parts. So, do you have a motherboard for one of these or a chassis with an intact motherboard you would like to part with for a reasonable amount? I have some parts I could trade back. I also have some you can just have if you want to pay the shipping.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrichar View Post
Anyway, the 3.0 firmware bricked the board in my A2 and the warranty company wimped out on fixing it. (This is my original player that I paid $440 for with a 5 year warranty.)
who was the warranty through? so we know never to give them any money. not that I get extended warranties anyways.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM

I haven't cracked open any of my HD-DVD players, but I'm pretty sure the fans inside will be of a standard variety. There are several stores around the 'net where you can buy fans of all shapes and sizes. If you need a replacement because your fan has become loud, just measure the dimensions and for very cheap I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I haven't cracked open any of my HD-DVD players, but I'm pretty sure the fans inside will be of a standard variety. There are several stores around the 'net where you can buy fans of all shapes and sizes. If you need a replacement because your fan has become loud, just measure the dimensions and for very cheap I'm sure you can find a suitable replacement.
mmmm no its not that easy.... there is a detailed long thread about it at AVS. Its easy enought o change but you need the right one... You can't just measure the fans dimensions..... people had part numbers and sources and stuff. If you need one get it off cochise. A2 fan and XA2 fan are the same but don't take my word for it. check it out yourself incase I read wrong somewhere