MS HD-DVD Player. Eject button won't work at all. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Default MS HD-DVD Player. Eject button won't work at all.

Hi there,

I just connected my XBOX360 Elite to the HD-DVD addon. The player itself is working absolutely fine, my problem is the eject button,however.
I tried to push it for a short and for a long amount of time but nothing will work. The drive tray just won't come out. I even had to use a paperclip in order to save my worthy 2001: A Space Odysee disc.

Is there some workaround or something I could try other than the things MS lists on their support page? I already contacted MS but I don't think they will do more than just give me a refurb unit.

PS: What makes me even more sad besides todays MS hardware being so cheap in quality is the thing that I asked around everywhere, in every -- including this one -- forum, if it's normal that the eject button won't work while the drive is connected with a PC. No one could give me an answer back then, although there were 2 or 3 guys who had theirs connected to the PC.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 PM

I remember having little hiccups with the eject button. Sometimes I would press it multiple times or hold it down to eject, but it was never a constant problem. It would really annoy me when it automatically closed. Once or twice it sucked the tray right before I would put the disc in without the disc. Wish I could help.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Ya. Heard about these little hiccups from other people aswell. I wish I had just those little problems. But instead the tray isn't going to do anything. No matter how long I push that damn button.

I bet if I open the drive casing I wouldn't find any connection going from the tray/eject button to the opening mechanism.

It just sucks that Microsoft droped in quality by such an high amount. The XBOX1 was such a fantastic console and so where all peripherals that came with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 AM

Did you try using a paperclip to manually eject the tray? There's a tiny hole right under the chrome tray that you insert the paperclip. Try it and see if it helps you out.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 AM

Yes.

I did this in order to save my valuable 2001 disc. But then I'm not willing to do this every time I want to eject a disc. I'm pretty sure that unhealthy for the drive itself.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Ok. I got an email from Microsoft a couple of hours ago and still I can't believe it. They told me to just go on with the paperclip trick. WTF? They release defective hardware and now me, the consumer has to live with that?

I'll give them a telephone call by tomorrow (today already bugged me enough -- thanks to my French teacher . No need to let it get any worse.)