HD-A3 not playing some discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 AM

Default HD-A3 not playing some discs

Never had this problem before. I have some 2 disc sets and the 2nd disc on some of them won't play at all. The player just says "Loading" and completely freezes. I can't eject the disc, turn the power off, nothing. I have to unplug it from the wall to be able to turn it back on and eject the disc. My firmware is up to date so that isn't the problem and I've tried cleaning the discs with still no luck. They are also brand new without any scratches or damage. It plays all standard DVDs fine and 98% of my HD-DVDs without a hitch, it's only a select few that won't play

Any ideas why or how to fix this? Thanks for any advice you can give
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Try deleting "persistent storage" then re"initialize". The last will set your player back to factory settings. You may want to write down your settings.
(You can find both - setup-general-maintenance) It's a good idea to do this procedure after each firmware update.

Holding down the power button (set is on) for 10 seconds will also reset the player back to factory settings.

Good Luck
Old 11-06-2008, 05:41 PM

So just hold down the power button (with the player on) for 10 seconds to reset to factory settings? I'll give it a shot, thanks. I don't think I've changed any (many) settings so I should be able to get them back quickly
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What242 View Post
So just hold down the power button (with the player on) for 10 seconds to reset to factory settings?
Personally, I have used this when my player would not respond to any remote control commands. "Stuck on welcome". I'd use this rather than unplugging the player.

Going to setup/general/maintenance/initialize is the recommended procedure to reset the player.

Firmware 4.0 has solved problems I've had with freezing discs/not a dvd (combo discs).
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Is this a common problem for the A3? I'm planning on buying my brothers for $50 w/5 HD DVDs. I have an A2, and I've never updated my firmware and never had a problem playing a disc.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 AM

No, it's not a common problem. I own two A3's and there's only one disc that either of them has a problem with (Stalingrad, and the problem is a poorly manufactured disc and this is a common issue with all 3rd generation players and that particular movie). The A3 is a solid unit and will play HD-DVD's and DVD's just fine.

Also, the 4.0 firmware has greatly reduced read errors from less than pristine discs. You'll definitely want to flash to that firmware, which is the latest.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 AM

How do i go about obtaining the latest firmware for my A2 and my soon to be A3?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM

You can download the latest firmware from Toshiba's website.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks Doublejack.