Digg.com will allow HD DVD hack postings - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Thumbs down Digg.com will allow HD DVD hack postings

http://blog.digg.com/?p=74

After the recent hijacking of the Digg site with HD DVD security codes (which digg rightfully tried to suppress), they have caved in to their posters and have officially vowed to refrain from eliminating the posts.

While this is certainly getting attention for HD DVD, it is the wrong kind of attention! The last thing studios need to see is that HD DVD provides less security than Blu-Ray...then the format is screwed.

So my take on this is that if HD DVD fails, I'm blaming these f#$%ing idiots. Thanks hackers, for breathing out air and generally being a waste of life
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Apparently these codes can also be used on blu-ray. Their only saving grace is that there aren't that many people who have bought blu-ray drives for their PC. Its the lack of sold hardware on the PC side that is actually helping them. Other than that, it's a matter of time till they're cracked as equally. Then of course BD+ will come out, and that will be cracked as well. I don't think cracking security codes is a good thing, but its absolutely inevitable.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
Apparently these codes can also be used on blu-ray. Their only saving grace is that there aren't that many people who have bought blu-ray drives for their PC. Its the lack of sold hardware on the PC side that is actually helping them. Other than that, it's a matter of time till they're cracked as equally. Then of course BD+ will come out, and that will be cracked as well. I don't think cracking security codes is a good thing, but its absolutely inevitable.
I'd just be curious to see if the Blu-Ray hacks get the same attention. And if it can also be used w/ Blu-ray, why was it only billed as an HD DVD hack?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
I'd just be curious to see if the Blu-Ray hacks get the same attention. And if it can also be used w/ Blu-ray, why was it only billed as an HD DVD hack?
That's how it originated, first of all. Second, it was accomplished through the HD-DVD 360 drive, so many people who kept re-reporting it simply called it an HD-DVD hack. Third, as I've mentioned, people are saying it works for blu-ray, but consider how many people own PC Blu-ray drives to try it for themselves, compared to how many own 360 drives.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:38 PM

This will only help mass adoption of the format. Once burners and blank media come down to realistic prices I think you will see an explosion.

Sure the studios don't like it but in the end it will help drive sales of hardware and software.

By then both formats will be hacked and you can download a BD and burn to HD DVD or vice versa.

I truly believe this is a good thing.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
This will only help mass adoption of the format. Once burners and blank media come down to realistic prices I think you will see an explosion.

Sure the studios don't like it but in the end it will help drive sales of hardware and software.

By then both formats will be hacked and you can download a BD and burn to HD DVD or vice versa.

The hardware/blank media sales boom is a high probability, but HD DVD as a movie-storage medium is going nowhere w/o studio support. And while studios will notice/like increased HD DVD sales, in the end all they really care about is their copyrights. So unless Blu-Ray gets screwed over by hackers big-time (and sells more PC drives to make it matter), there's gonna be an issue w/ studios and HD DVD.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 PM

In the long run I don't think it will matter.
Look how easy it is to rip a DVD. I don't see any holdouts though.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
http://blog.digg.com/?p=74

After the recent hijacking of the Digg site with HD DVD security codes (which digg rightfully tried to suppress), they have caved in to their posters and have officially vowed to refrain from eliminating the posts.

While this is certainly getting attention for HD DVD, it is the wrong kind of attention! The last thing studios need to see is that HD DVD provides less security than Blu-Ray...then the format is screwed.

So my take on this is that if HD DVD fails, I'm blaming these f#$%ing idiots. Thanks hackers, for breathing out air and generally being a waste of life
I agree with ya Pat. I can see the concern that Digg has over trying to stifle the posting of the hex code, but it was bound to happen sooner or later, with this or something else. Any site that relies on user-contributed content is gonna run into a dilemma at some point when content collides with the site's business plan, and that's exactly what happened here. While I agree in principle, I think Digg made the wrong decision here.

I've never viewed Digg as a service, blindly pushing a stream of content that goes unchecked or unqualified, but as a site with a community of users that tend to police themselves and keep the quality of content up to a standard. Maybe I just had the wrong impression all along, because I assumed Digg would have some kind of content guidelines, especially with material that could be considered illegal or used for illegal purposes.

For now, I can't see the good that can come out of this for HD DVD. Public perception is a big obstacle to overcome and if the public or studios think that HD DVD is less secure or hackable, without even knowing what that entails, I can see people feeling less comfortable with it. Maybe you guys are right, that it would have the alternate effect, but I'd hate to think that the collection I'm building could become obsolete because of some jerks trying to make a point or overthrow a site's TOS in such a public way.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
For now, I can't see the good that can come out of this for HD DVD. Public perception is a big obstacle to overcome and if the public or studios think that HD DVD is less secure or hackable, without even knowing what that entails, I can see people feeling less comfortable with it. Maybe you guys are right, that it would have the alternate effect, but I'd hate to think that the collection I'm building could become obsolete because of some jerks trying to make a point or overthrow a site's TOS in such a public way.
Exactly. It's not the public's interest in HD DVD that's in play here, but the studio/manufacturer perception of it's security.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post

I do agree with you. This is good news somehow.
If this is hapening to HD DVD today ...it will happen to BR tomorrow. Nobody should make fun of the other format for something like this ...unless they are convinced that this is actually good news.