Audio dropouts on DD+ bitstreams - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 AM

Default Audio dropouts on DD+ bitstreams

Does anybody know what the deal is with audio dropouts that occur when you bitsteam Dolby Digital plus soundtracks. I am using an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver. True HD and any of the DTS soundtracks have no problems. They are just short little half second dropouts that intermittently occur during the movie or sometimes I have noticed a slight pop in the sound also. When I switch to PCM, there are no issues. I have an A-35 player.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Does anybody know what the deal is with audio dropouts that occur when you bitsteam Dolby Digital plus soundtracks. I am using an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver. True HD and any of the DTS soundtracks have no problems. They are just short little half second dropouts that intermittently occur during the movie or sometimes I have noticed a slight pop in the sound also. When I switch to PCM, there are no issues. I have an A-35 player.

I think the 705 got a firmware upgrade from Onkyo to help with these audio issues. I would check their website.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM

are they just dropouts or bitstream bombs?
see stickey thread regarding "loud popping noise solved...."
It's either here or in Home theater forum.
either way this type of problem has certainly been reported.
It is most likely the receiver.
firmware was issued that fixed this problem I believe.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM

No, I'm sure these are intermittent dropouts. I had them on my A35 too. What firmware do you have on it?
I know there was a time that I had them so often that I just PCM'd DD+ tracks even though I didn't want to.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:44 PM

I am running version 4.0 on my A-35. This has always been an intermittent problem no matter what firmware I have been at. I would say most times a DD+ soundtrack will bitstream fine, but then other times I can tell right during the disc studio music intro that it is going to do the dropout or very low level popping thing. My TX-SR705 has the latest firmware; both for the main and DSP modes. There was an update issued(which I have)that fixed the DTS Master audio bitstream noise and I have never had that problem. From what I have read on other sites, this problem exists on other receivers also. Not sure though, if this is isolated to just the A-35 player. It's weird how True HD never has the problem, just some DD+ . Also, it should be noted that on a couple of occasions I have been able to eliminate the problem by stopping playback and restarting the disc. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 PM

yeah if it's not the bombs, then it most likely is the A35 and the DD+.
I've read many reports of just this sort of dropout problem with DD+.
It really would be nice if Toshiba could get to the bottom of this.
It seems like this is one of the final widespread problems I still see reported.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Ya, and in the grand scheme of things; it really isn't that big of deal for me to just turn off the " Direct mode" and let the sound come as multi PCM when I play DD+ discs. But, it would be nice to know exactly what the deal is. So, does anyone have the problem with the XA2?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM

I've never seen any reports of this issue from XA2 owners. Only A35. I also believe the problem lies in the player, not the receiver but I think we'll never know for sure.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 PM

The LG BH200 also has issues with DD+ HD DVD bitstreams. In addition to occasional drop-outs, the tracks also produce a weird helicopter sound according to many posters on AVS.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:31 AM

So has this ever been recorded as being a problem with the Samsung 5000?