Toshiba issues new firmware for 1st-gen HD DVD players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Toshiba issues new firmware for 1st-gen HD DVD players

Quote:
Announcement
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST PUBLISHED May 1, 2007
Toshiba issues new firmware for 1st-gen HD-DVD players. It now has version 2.2.

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update adds support for certain anticipated network delivered content in future HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, as well as addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

Full details from Toshiba below:

Firmware Update Version: 2.2

Applicable Models: HD-XA1, HD-A1 and HD-D1.

Overview:
This firmware update adds support for certain anticipated network delivered content in future HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, as well as addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

How to obtain and install the firmware update:

If you have broadband internet service, you may obtain the firmware update over the internet using the Ethernet port on the back of your HD DVD Player. There are instructions for configuring the Ethernet port on pages 44-45 of the owner's manual. Page 57 of the owner's manual describes how to download the firmware update. Here is an overview of the process:

* BEFORE BEGINNING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS, BE SURE TO REMOVE ANY DISCS FROM YOUR HD DVD PLAYER.
* Please configure the Ethernet port. You may need to turn on DHCP and DNS. Page 45 of the user manual explains how to do this.
* After you have configured the Ethernet port, follow the directions on page 57 to check for a firmware update.
* If a firmware update is available for your player, it will take about 20 minutes to download and install. Once the firmware update download process has finished, the player's power will automatically switch off. You must wait until this process has finished.
* DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.
* If no firmware update is available, the player will quickly exit the update process.
* Please refer to your owner's manual for additional details.

If you do not have an Ethernet-based broadband connection for your player or prefer not to use one, you may contact Toshiba Customer Solutions and request that a firmware update disc be sent by mail.

* You can update the firmware using this update disc by following the instructions provided with the disc.
* DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Please note that if you sent Toshiba the Firmware Update Request card included with your player, you will receive an update disc by mail from Toshiba as soon as it becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update adds support for certain anticipated network delivered content in future HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, as well as addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

Q2. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that problem?

A2. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity. If you still experience problems, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the problem, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q3. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A3. This firmware update, which includes material from prior updates, addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. Do I need to install prior updates before installing the current update?

A4. No. The current update includes all of the prior updates.
I hope this helps. Toshiba takes care of their own.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

[email protected] minutes install time.

i DLed this update, but as usual it took over an hour to finish (and there is nothing wrong with my broadband speeds). toshiba must REALLy cap their DL speeds or this machine is just really slow online.

hopefully DL speeds aren't this slow during online disc content, or it will be useless.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM

This update is available to download and burn at the following link...

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/#

It is about time that you can now download and burn making the process much quicker.

Lego

Last edited by Legobricke; 05-10-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
This update is avaiable to download and burn at the following link...

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/#

It is about time that you can now download and burn making the process much quicker.

Lego
Very nice....thank you.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Very nice....thank you.
I would say...very very nice.
Now I do not have to wait until toshiba send me the disc.

3 questions:
-What is the difference between this update and the previous one? What is the advantage you will get?
-Is it secure to install it after to download this to a disc?
-Do I need to install 2.1 first or this will do the trick for both?

Thnaks for the answers.

I like the way Toshiba is handling things. They are excellent regarding firware updates.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
I would say...very very nice.
Now I do not have to wait until toshiba send me the disc.

3 questions:
-What is the difference between this update and the previous one? What is the advantage you will get?-Is it secure to install it after to download this to a disc?
-Do I need to install 2.1 first or this will do the trick for both?

Thnaks for the answers.

I like the way Toshiba is handling things. They are excellent regarding firware updates.
The differences are listed in the OP. I also "firmly" agree about Toshiba's customer service.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideybat View Post
The differences are listed in the OP. I also "firmly" agree about Toshiba's customer service.
I too am impressed with Toshiba's Customer Service. Called them yesterday-made sure that I had about 40 minutes cleared away. My call was answered by a recording-I thought "Oh, here we go". The recording asked if I was calling about the DVD Recorder or the HD DVD-I pressed 2. With in 10 seconds a LIVE person answered the phone (US national no doubt). He was kind and courteous. He was a little chatty about the Cowboys and the new stadium-I live in Arlington, TX new home of the Dallas Cowboys. I did not mind the chat and was helped promtly. They will mail me every update from this point forward. All in all the phone call lasted 6 minutes would have been less if we had not chatted about the Cowboys. I did not have the heart to tell him I am a Chiefs fan and my wife is a Giants fan...Not a blue star in our house.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM

I assume that just becuase this iso is off the canadian website that it doens't make a difference if it's an american player?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 PM

I burned a disk from the download website and updated my player.

I have an HD-AX1 hooked up to my Hitachi RPTV 65F710A via HDMI. Sound is to my Yamaha HTR-5280 (which I love, a great sounding receiver) through the analog inputs.

My results so far have been great:
1. Power-up time is reduced (not drastically, but it is a bit quicker)
2. The picture seems just a bit sharper (but it was great before, but watching Happy Feet, I see more detail in the snow and in the fur)
3. Happy Feet no longer has the 28 minute bug (my machine had it just a little, maybe pausing a few tenths of a second before continuing, nothing like some people I have read it pausing for moments and up to minutes or just freezing). It plays flawlessly.
4. Loading times may be a bit faster but not really sure, I never timed it before, but it SEEMS a little faster.
5. Children of Men works like a charm.
6. Chapter skips are faster and more responsive.
7. Sound is a bit livelier, but that could just be me.
8. I never had HDMI problems, but I did notice that using update 2.1 (which I backed out of to go back to 2.0), the player seemed to switch through every resolution possible before settling in on 1080i, which was very annoying, hence the 2.0 regression. With 2.2, it is as smooth as silk.

All in all, I would say this is a definite thumbs up. I would recommend this update. For those who might be interested or wondering if it is worth the trouble, I would have to say yes, but of course, ymmv.

Later!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Help With Disc

I downloaded the program from the link onto a DVD-R and the machine said Cant Read Disc. Do you have to use a different format? Thanks for any help.