XA2 loud? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Default XA2 loud?

I got an XA2 off ebay and the fan has an annoying whine. The XA2 looks brarely used with original 1.0 firmware, nobody messed with the picture settings, and the plastic film is still on the remote. It played a movie ok but I am waiting for my 4.0 disc to get ehre to update it so I can bitstream etc... Does anyone know of somwhere with pics or instructions on opening the cas eto look inside? If not I'm just going to start pulling screws and play it by ear. I can see the fan blades have a considerable amount of dust and crap on them. That would seem to indicate the player was powered on for a long time I would think.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I got an XA2 off ebay and the fan has an annoying whine. The XA2 looks brarely used with original 1.0 firmware, nobody messed with the picture settings, and the plastic film is still on the remote. It played a movie ok but I am waiting for my 4.0 disc to get ehre to update it so I can bitstream etc... Does anyone know of somwhere with pics or instructions on opening the cas eto look inside? If not I'm just going to start pulling screws and play it by ear. I can see the fan blades have a considerable amount of dust and crap on them. That would seem to indicate the player was powered on for a long time I would think.
Perhaps it is dust build up........mine doesn't make that type of sound. Perhaps try using a can of compressed air to blow out the fan and see if that helps.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproof73 View Post
Perhaps it is dust build up........mine doesn't make that type of sound. Perhaps try using a can of compressed air to blow out the fan and see if that helps.
Thats why i want to open it up... From what I'm finding at AVS some have a loud fan and some don't. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about them.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:01 AM

I have never noticed the fan noise with mine. About the only possible solution if cleaning doesn't fix it is to replace the fan.

Chris
Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM

I don't know if mine is loud or not. I can't hear it over the buzzing my Pioneer Kuro is making. In all seriousness, I've had three XA2s, all refurbs or refurb replacements and one of them had a fan that was noticeably loud. From what I have read at AVS the fans are interchangeable with the A2s. I think they share a couple of other parts as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM

I have two XA2's and both are very quiet.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 PM

I don't know if its the jedi mind trick but I think my DV-HD805 had a better picture. I'll have to try some more discs.