What is the best firmware for the A2? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Default What is the best firmware for the A2?

ok I admit I haven't played an HD DVD in quite some time, but only because I waiting on my new surround receiver.
And I know I need to upgrade my firmware from whatever is on there because it is a very early profile.
I really don't feel like trying to read through all these old threads to find out which upgrade people think is the best.
Even though Toshiba gets rid of their older firmware links, my friend has all of the most recent updates on actual discs except whatever one maybe was the last one. Frankly I don't even know which number they got to or left off at.
I know some firmware updates had audio dropout problems or messed up the sd upconversion, etc. etc.
so bottom line--
which firmware is the best, most stable one for the A2?
thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM

4.0 is on their web page covers all updates and is their most recent, this onehas gotten good reviews by users who post here and seams to have solved issues with earlier updates.

If you properly register the unit they will send you update CD's
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM

thanks for the reply.
they actually stopped sending out the actual discs I believe.
I got them for a while and then they just stopped.
I didn't do anything that would have caused them to stop.
I have no idea if my friend has 4.0 or not.
I'll ask him.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
thanks for the reply.
they actually stopped sending out the actual discs I believe.
I got them for a while and then they just stopped.
I didn't do anything that would have caused them to stop.
I have no idea if my friend has 4.0 or not.
I'll ask him.
No - they still send them out - I have gotten 4.0 firmware discs for both my A30 and A35 from Toshiba in the last couple of weeks.
My A30 is my primary player these days - and it seems to work great under the new 4.0 firmware. hhhhdvd
Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 AM

hmmmmmmm..........
well I guess I'll just call them then.
somehow I got taken off the guest list I guess.
thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 AM

Default Firmware Updates . .

I got a pm from one of the folks in here inquiring about firmware updates. The following is the basic procedure I follow to update my players using firmware files available on the Toshiba website - in case this is of some help to anyone else. Needless to say - I make no guarantees - and you are on your own if you brick your player in the process of updating firmware . . . do this at your own risk!
-------------------------------------------------------
Steps for Toshiba HD-DVD firmware disc

1. Gather what you need:
a. Have some blank cd-r's on hand and a computer with a cdrw burner in it.
b. Download "imgburn" version 2.4.2.0 from here:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
This is the program you will use to create the firmware update disc.
c. download the Toshiba firmware images files for your computer. Look here and download
the appropriate files (version 4.0 for each model)
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/

2. Get everything ready:
a. Install imgburn on your computer - let it install to its default location, etc.
b. Unzip the downloaded firmware files (probably just need to double-click them).
Make sure you know which resulting file is for which player (take notes).

3. "Burn" your firmware update disc:
a. launch imgburn
b. blank cd-r into burner
c. click "write image file to disc"
d. make sure "destination" is your burner.
e. choose a "write speed" in the middle of your burner/media speed rating (ie. 52x burner & 52x media, pick 24x or 26x).
f. under "source" - "browse for" and select the correct file to use (it should end in .iso - NOT .zip).
g. click the "write" button.
h. wait for program to say it successfully completed.

4. Update your hd-dvd player:
a. power the player on - open the tray - insert the proper firmware disc - close the tray.
b. say "yes" when it asks if you want to update.
c. let it run - it is slow - do not interrupt it under any circumstances!
d. it will take a while - and go through 5 steps, as I recall.
e. when done - remove the disc.
----------------------------------
If anyone notices any errors in here - feel free to offer corrections/suggestions.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 AM

thanks so much from one of the forum's "old" guys.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:32 AM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Needless to say - I make no guarantees - and you are on your own if you brick your player in the process of updating firmware . . . do this at your own risk!
-------------------------------------------------------

luckily I still have my $99 Blu-light special in the closet if disaster strikes.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:57 AM

You call Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-694-3383 and request that a firmware update disc be sent to you by mail.
I did for my A30 and they said no problem but it hasn't been pressed yet. A soon as it is they will send me one. I also called for one for an XA2 I picked up off ebay so it isn't registered in my name. I got a woman that was kind of a pain in the arse but was able to get her to send me one. She wouldn't send me one at first because I said I didn't have problem I just wanted to update it. She said "well updates are only for if you are having problems." So I told her " Ok yes I am having problems with 1080p/24 jaggies." She asked what the serial number is. I said "I don't know its not in front of me." Then she wanted to know where it was purchased. I said "I don't know it was a gift." She ended up sending me the disc but wants me to call back and give her the serial number.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
You call Toshiba Customer Solutions at 1-800-319-6684 or HD-DVD Concierge at 1-888-694-3383 and request that a firmware update disc be sent to you by mail.
I did for my A30 and they said no problem but it hasn't been pressed yet. A soon as it is they will send me one. I also called for one for an XA2 I picked up off ebay so it isn't registered in my name. I got a woman that was kind of a pain in the arse but was able to get her to send me one. She wouldn't send me one at first because I said I didn't have problem I just wanted to update it. She said "well updates are only for if you are having problems." So I told her " Ok yes I am having problems with 1080p/24 jaggies." She asked what the serial number is. I said "I don't know its not in front of me." Then she wanted to know where it was purchased. I said "I don't know it was a gift." She ended up sending me the disc but wants me to call back and give her the serial number.

I'm sure you will have it for her on Monday at 8:00 AM

Last edited by Jaws17; 10-25-2008 at 05:12 PM.